@#!*!#@ Snails

darkangel

I curently have, 4x 10 gal. 1x 20 gal. 2x 25 gal. 1x 33 gal. and 1x 72 gal. tanks that are infested with snails. I need a small commando unit of snail smacking soldiers to clean up the mess. I would like to know what is out there in the way of snail eating fish other than clown loaches as the size of the tanks are not large enough for one let alone a small group.

Some of the botias are good, and there are smaller loaches that work as well.

There is hope! I just read on an international wholesaler's web-site that they just acquired a species of snail that eats snails!

And then what do you do with those snails -roll-

Lol that's a good question. I have a clown loach that works great for snails and a zebra loach in my 20g which is doing a good job for how big it is. Puffers work for snails too and crayfish but with puffers and crays you have to remember they eat fish and can be agressive and crayfish destroy plants.

I'll be watching this with interest as my son's 10 gal (planted) is heavily infested. Right now my method is getting him to go in there and pick out snails. We have 2 kuhli loaches, but I don't think they do much with the snails. He also has a fighting fish in there so I have to be careful with what I put in.

I have Skunk loaches in with angels cory cats neons etc.. And I believe as long as you have 5 or 6 they will spend all there time eating snails and chasing each other..

When I bought them I was looking for the Dwarf (zebra) but I purchased the skunks.. All I had a couple days later was empty shells littering the bottom

Edited by duff

Synodontis multipunctatus (aka cuckoo cats) love snails - breeders use them to get the females into condition. They are not aggressive and if bought at a small size they won't get too big for the tank before your snail problem is solved.

I went down to see henry and picked up a trio of botia striata, So far the snails are losing. They do have a little trouble with the larger snails but it's pretty cool watching them stick thier faces inside the opening of the shell. Also picked up a pair of rock shrimp, It's surprizing that in just a few hours the job of cleaning they did and the orange bee shrimp are still in the tank so far but will be installing a divider after supper.