Odds of Breeding S petricola

punman

I was looking for information on breeding S. petricola. I have 8 that I purchased two and a half years ago. I don’t know how many males or females I have but three of them look kind of “plump” – bellies are fatter.

Are there some good links to this or people with experience?

I have a 33 gallon tank I could dedicate for this purpose if it is big enough. They are very active when mixed in with other fish in my 45 gallon or 90 gallon tank but I don’t know the signs of spawning behaviour or how to go about making it a success.

ive been trying to figure out the same thing as i have 20 or so petricola...ive heard theres a method using upside down potting bowls. i saw a cool video of it on youtube, try petricola in the search bar

I was looking for information on breeding S. petricola. I have 8 that I purchased two and a half years ago. I don’t know how many males or females I have but three of them look kind of “plump” – bellies are fatter.

Are there some good links to this or people with experience?

I have a 33 gallon tank I could dedicate for this purpose if it is big enough. They are very active when mixed in with other fish in my 45 gallon or 90 gallon tank but I don’t know the signs of spawning behaviour or how to go about making it a success.

I'd recommend just using some sort of inverted flowerpot over a 'saucer' idea, filled with marbles. I ended up using plastic ones that I think I found at Wally World, and have to use a piece of slate to keep the top from floating up. Using plastic is much easier to cut holes into than dealing with ceramics. I was surprised at how small mine started breeding; probably 3" for most of the group, and if you've got some that look gravid I'd say you could have good luck. Don't worry about separating them to a different tank. I just put the flowerpot setup in my 125 and change out the bottom (I have 3 sets of bottoms with two layers of marbles in each) every day. 2-3 days should be enough eggs/fry to fill up a 10 gallon quite nicely (I have probably 50-80 at about .75"-1" in a 10 right now). I'll try to get some pics of the setup I use tomorrow.