Do all plants pearl?

Joseph Elliott

Pearling happens when the tank is saturated with O2 - specifically right around the leaf that is producing the O2. Anubias is the only plant I've kept that I haven't seen pearl... not sure if it just doesn't have the metabolism?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use a DIY CO2 reactor but for my 33 gal tank found that there was just not enought CO2 for my planted tank. Now that I have set up a canister system I have found that my plants are not only growing faster, bushier and more colorful, they are now starting to pearl. The Anubias barteri var. nana so far are the only ones that have been pearling so far. Maybe you just need to increase your CO2 output just a notch?

What size of tank do you have and what type of anubias, just curious?

Allicia

Edited by Alley

I have a 25 gallon and its a random lfs anubias, probably nana but i'm not sure. I admit the owner knows her stuff... mostly... but her plants come in as assorted bunches that are neither labeled nor sorted. I have been digging through new ones as she gets them but its really poor variety.

Edited by Joseph Elliott

I have a 25 gallon and its a random lfs anubias, probably nana but i'm not sure. I admit the owner knows her stuff... mostly... but her plants come in as assorted bunches that are neither labeled nor sorted. I have been digging through new ones as she gets them but its really poor variety.

Try Riverfront Aquariums. They have a pretty good selection when they get stuff in, and they are labeled, hehe.

The DIY CO2 canisters are 1 for up to 20 gallons and 2 does like 45 gallons. I would suggest investing in a canister system. Then you can set it up on a timer and ajust the CO2 level to where you want it.

Allicia

I'd love to try riverfront but I'm 6 hours away. I intend to set up a canister system eventually.

Where are you? Because Hennry at Natures Corner in Edmonton also has a pretty nice selection some times and gets his plants from Tropica. I have 6 plants from there and they have been pest free, well adapted, and great root systems on them to start.

Actually just brought home 3 from there today, hehehe.

Allicia

Where are you? Because Hennry at Natures Corner in Edmonton also has a pretty nice selection some times and gets his plants from Tropica.

...and Aquacentris. There is a reason I shop there...great selection and top-quality plants, as well as a great selection of aquascaping supplies. A good choice for Joseph, as he is about 90 minutes away from there.