Something easy for a beginner?

newbie2

Just wondering what is a good starting point for a beginner.

At this point all I have is a community tank with guppies, tetras and cory's. Love the S/A cichlids. I want a planted S/A "community" tank and was thinking along the line of:

Angels,

Festivum (Flag cichlids?)

Rainbow cichlids

or some combination of the above. Looking online there are not many fish that will not only play nice with other fish but also leave the plants alone. Looking at a 75g tank and would like some big fish (cause they look awsome!!) but having an oscar in there with a rock doesnt seam like all that fun.

Plus how many to start with so I don't end up having to get rid of a bunch if they all fight. haha.

I dont have the tank yet but would like to have a direction in mind if you know what I mean.

(If only convicts were a little more minimum security and a little less alcatraz)

Just wondering what is a good starting point for a beginner.

At this point all I have is a community tank with guppies, tetras and cory's. Love the S/A cichlids. I want a planted S/A "community" tank and was thinking along the line of:

Angels,

Festivum (Flag cichlids?)

Rainbow cichlids

or some combination of the above. Looking online there are not many fish that will not only play nice with other fish but also leave the plants alone. Looking at a 75g tank and would like some big fish (cause they look awsome!!) but having an oscar in there with a rock doesnt seam like all that fun.

Plus how many to start with so I don't end up having to get rid of a bunch if they all fight. haha.

I dont have the tank yet but would like to have a direction in mind if you know what I mean.

(If only convicts were a little more minimum security and a little less alcatraz)

try some geophagus, they are pretty docile and look good and make a great inhabitant in a planted tank,

or you could go with C/A cichlids and get a midas, jaguar or something of that sort.

Quinn

c/a cichlids i think are harder to keep, if you want a oscar dont get Angels,

Festivum or

Rainbow cichlids

they will be come bait for the hungry beast. oscars need 55 gallons each, so if you want a oscar in a 75 there not much more room for any thing eles, maby a convict.

if you want a oscar and you want it to have a long and healthy life i would just get one oscar in a 75 gallon

you need good water with oscars and severums or hlle (hole in head) is a common death of these guys.

i would actually say the minimun for a full grown oscar is a 120 gallon.

larger cichlids arent too picky on water and will eat just about anything

Quinn

ps i have alot of "starter C/A's lol

you need good water with oscars and severums or hlle (hole in head) is a common death of these guys.

Quinn

i say that to the pepole who put oscars in a 10 gallon tank,120 is great, also its HITH, and if you keep your oscars water clean they dont get HITH. and oscars can be very very picky about what they eat

Quinn

i say that to the pepole who put oscars in a 10 gallon tank,120 is great, also its HITH, and if you keep your oscars water clean they dont get HITH. and oscars can be very very picky about what they eat

head and later line erosion lol for a more scientific term.

ive had my oscar since i was 8 and hes pushing 17"

definitely start with somethin easy tho lol

Thus far all the green terrors I've kept have been great in a cichlid community tank and their colours and parental behaviors are great. The red seam are especially beautiful.

After you've had more experience , the firemouths are great too.

I'm currently doing water changes twice a week but am a little scared of fish like Discus when they say you have to do a 50% change every two days or so. On 75 gallons that seems like a heck of a lot to me

I have a pair of Rainbow cichlids and they make great community cichlids except they are a bit timid and they also like to eat plants. I haven't had too much trouble keeping them in my planted community(angelfish, tetras, loaches) but they have eaten my Java fern and thankfully lef the rest of the plants alone.

So if you want SA/CA cichlids My suggestions would be

Angelfish

Firemouth

Kribs

SA dwarfs(apistos,rams etc.)

rainbow cichlids(not recommended with plants)

severums (not recommended with plants)

Convicts (becareful when they breed)

Geophagus (should have sand)

Festivum

IN my 58g I have a pair of angelfish and a Pair of Rainbows along with all my other commuinty fish. They all get along great.

My 75g has angels, geos, laetacara dorsigers, and a bolivian ram. Other fish in the tank are a clown pleco, 4 ancistrus temminki, and 5 or 6 peppered cories. As well as an assortment of plants.