Something easy for a beginner?

newbie2

Thanks for the advice guys!!

As a typical newbie i've totally changed my mind again. I think I'm going to go with what I really wanted to get in the first place - Discus. haha. I know, I know, but I AM a little crazy. I wanted a peaceful planted tank so I think I can have it with them, with a little work.

right now this is what I'm thinking for a 75g.

6 Discus (I think mixing and matching is okay?)

4 blue rams

20 tetras (cardinals or/and neons)

6 cory catfish

4 otos

Why not try for two of the pickiest fish at once right? I figure if i can get this to work im ready for just about anything!

PS. how does that sound and what to add first!!

Im hoping to get a tank at the Big Als boxing week sale and cycle my tank with my present 6 cardinals and 3 x-ray tetras

You should maybe start a new topic about Discus for the beginner. You'll probably get more help from the discus people.

I have never kept discus myself so i can't really help much there but I do know they need a very stable mature tank. So I wouldn't add them for atleast a coulpe months or longer untill you have your tank stabalized.

Also, I wouldnt' recommend cycling with cardinals. cardinals are sensitive fish and probably wouldn't do well. I would recommend doing a fishless cycle(good it there is tons of info and step by step instructions). Fishless cycling is better as its way quicker, you don't hurt any fish and once the cycle is finished you can add more fish right off the start.