40,000 gallons

Willfishguy

Actually, any type of dog is a potential safty hazard, but really, no matter the breed, I go with the belief that there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. So dogs should not be banned because losers treat them poorly or train them to cause harm. Any three month old puppy that has been treated well is going to lick a person's face (gesture of love) and wag it's tail (gesture of happyness). Dogs have been domesticated longer than any other animal for a reason.

Crocodilians on the other had are born dangerous animals, just like big cats, elephants and polar bears and is why they are illegal to buy, sell or own in Alberta without a special permit. Reptiles of the dangerous animal act of Alberta include all cocodilians, all venomous snakes, including rear fanged colubrids, all venomus lizards, most monitor lizards and boids that exceed 16 feet (I believe).

Provinces that allow crocodilians do not have shelters over run with them, but I will say that one caiman in a shelter is a big problem and 6 is a disaster. The real problem is Iguanas and Red Ear Sliders. Why Alberta does not have a ban of Iguanas is beyond me. And no one should support any company that sells them and the same goes with puppies. The real reason our shelters are bursting with unwanted animals of all kinds is because of the easy access to them at pet stores. I believe only registered breeders should be allowed to sell cats and dogs.

Edited by Willfishguy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what's wrong with Red Eared Sliders?

And what's wrong with Red Eared Sliders?

I believe it is because they transfer salmonella.

I had seven of them for over 10 years. I kept the water and filters maintained, and never had any issues. I believe it is when conditions are poor that salmonella develops.

Raw chicken from any grocery store can potentially transfer salmonlella---I think a lot of laws are made by people with phobias and or are control freaks

Sure, but the odds of child contracting samonella from a infected pet aquatic turtle is far greater then from infected chicken in the kitchen.

I don't know but I'm thinking the odds are better that a child touches a piece of raw chicken--as opposed to a slider

Do you have pics of these tanks? I'd love to see them.

I say a reef tank corals, clams, and fish always look the best veiwed from the the top :thumbs:

Can you imagine how big the corals and clams could get?

The salt would cost fortune.

Yeah but coral propagation would actually make money to pay for it, I see it as way to pay for itself :thumbs: