Breeding Rainbowfish

Vallisneria

I"m looking for some info on breeding Celebese rainbowfish. I have a pair that have bred before as I found 3 mystery babies that I IDed as baby rainbows. So I was wondering what I can do to get them to do it again in a breeding tank so I can keep the babies. Is there anything i need to do besides feed them well and provide a clean tank?

Are the egg scatterers? Do they lay eggs on plants? Would I put the pair in a seperate tank(I was thinking 5g but also have a 10g) to do the breeding and then remove them when they have laid the eggs? Or can I keep the parents in with the babies? Do all rainbowfish breed in a similar fashion? Could I use other rainbowfish breeding articles on the net to get an idea of what to do with celebese rainbows?

I know nothing about breeding rainbowfish. I've only really bred cichlids and they tend to be fairly easy. So any tips about breeding rainbowfish would be helpful.

Well, since you've managed to do it once, I think you'll have no problem doing it again. I'm going to take a guess and say that Celebe's are egg scatterers, so a good layer of Java moss in a 5-10 gal should be all you need (along w. heater & filter, of course). Most egg-scatterers will eat their eggs/young, so it might be a good idea to remove/swap the moss every week or so.

Have fish, have fry, have fun!! :thumbs:

Well I tried googling breeding them and there wasn't too much info. It seems they lay their eggs in fine leaved plants or spawning mops can be used and that they lay eggs over a period of days/weeks.

So here is my plan. Transfer the pair to a barebottom 5g with a bunch of java moss covering the bottom. Then do a water change with cooler water(one site suggested cooler WC with trigger spawning) and see whta happens. IF they do lay eggs I'll transfer the moss out to a fry tank and put new moss in.

Sites say they take about 10days to hatch. Any idea on what I would feed the fry? The 3 I found were already big by the time I spotted them so i never had to feed them fry foods. Will they be ok on frozen BBS, or powdered foods? Or will I need special tiny live foods.

I believe corrosionjerry has successfully bred them. Try giving him a pm.

You'll probably have to start them on infusoria (living in the moss), microworms and/or vinegar eels. I have VE if you need some... my microworm culture went dry on me - neglected during the moving process. However, I know there are quite a few people around who'll gladly give you some.