Callochromis macrops spawning

patrick

Right after a water change, with the water still cloudy, they decided to spawn. They spawned on a rock far back in the right hand corner, not far from the surface.

Female is squeezing.

macrops_spawn08-600.jpg

She is picking up the eggs, but watch out one is getting away!

macrops_spawn02-600.jpg

She sees it and snags it before it falls down in between the rock where the julies have their babies

macrops_spawn03-600.jpg

The male is fertilizing the eggs

macrops_spawn10-600.jpg

About 10 minutes after they are done

macrops_spawn12-600.jpg

Close up

macrops_spawn06-600.jpg

Nice shots Patrick ! I've seen the spawning ritual many times but never seen eggs other than in the females mouth, so again--Nice shots !

Thanks :) It was awesome to watch and it took longer than I expected, about 30-45 minutes from start to finish. Every time she released eggs I got nervous because they rolled down the rock and the julies are in the caves right underneath lol.

Nice shots Patrick ! I've seen the spawning ritual many times but never seen eggs other than in the females mouth, so again--Nice shots !

Thanks :) It was awesome to watch and it took longer than I expected, about 30-45 minutes from start to finish. Every time she released eggs I got nervous because they rolled down the rock and the julies are in the caves right underneath lol.

It's for that exact reason that I use flat rocks---I'll post some pics of my breeding towers that I keep in some tanks later ---But I'll tell you in my tank the females are not holding full term so if I don't strip them within a week the eggs are gone (they share the tank with Paracyprichromis) just somthing to keep in mind. If you have different results let me know please

It's for that exact reason that I use flat rocks---I'll post some pics of my breeding towers that I keep in some tanks later ---But I'll tell you in my tank the females are not holding full term so if I don't strip them within a week the eggs are gone (they share the tank with Paracyprichromis) just somthing to keep in mind. If you have different results let me know please

I have heard from a few others as well that they aren't very good at keeping their mouth shut, and that they tend to spit in the net when scooping them up. I will try and keep them in the current tank until 3 weeks have passed. With a bit of luck they wont spit during this time, and if they do spit in the net at that time, no big deal :)

These are great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...