A new project.

CalgaryFan

Well, I've been getting a steady pay cheque for a while so I decided I would try and do something I have wanted to do for a while now....Build a custom backround for my 15 gallon.

I wanted to get the project started tomorrow, since I don't have to work so far.. My plans were to purchase or find a large rubbermaid container big enough to temporarily house the current fish in the tank, pour the cycled water, along with the fish and filter into the container and go from there, this wont happen till i have my plan set of course haha.

But, before I get started and too far ahead of myself here, I think I need a little refreshment on what is needed for this project. I plan on using styrophome, to build and shape the backround, but was unsure about what to do to make the styrophome stay stuck to the tank. Also, what paint should I use for the backround? I might need a little more help with the project which is why I created the new thread, I will also look at any other threads already made to help me along the way, so any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks!,

Ryan

If it is going inside the tank then I don't think you can paint it. However you can smere silicone on it and stick gravel and rocks to it.

Nick: It can be painted, provided the proper paints are used (remember plywood tanks are painted inside with epoxy paint??)

A google search on this (backgrounds) should get you a ton of hits....

James

Yes but epoxy paint melts styrofoam.

I think I remember there having been a thread here about Henry at Nature's having some kind of foam for sale that you could mould into shape for custom ponds? If so, I wonder if you'd be able to get something like that in Calgary?

Brad's got some good threads. Check out the forums where there are a lot of DIYers posting. My favorites are cichlid-forum.com and monsterfishkeepers.com