Pythons vs other kinds

Shai

I suffer from scoliosis so I would like to buy a Python to eliminate having to carry around heavy buckets of water to change my tanks. Can anyone tell me what they normally retail for? Since my house is so long I am going to need one with at least 50' of hose.

I was at Petland last night looking for one but they didn't have any. Is anyone stocking them locally? Marina makes a similar piece of equipment that looked okay as an alternative. The 50' version was about $95. Is this reasonable? Does anyone have any experience with the Marina one?

Many thanks!

Edited by Shai

I suffer from scoliosis so I would like to buy a Python to eliminate having to carry around heavy buckets of water to change my tanks. Can anyone tell me what they normally retail for? Since my house is so long I am going to need one with at least 50' of hose.

I was at Petland last night looking for one but they didn't have any. Is anyone stocking them locally? Marina makes a similar piece of equipment that looked okay as an alternative. The 50' version was about $95. Is this reasonable? Does anyone have any experience with the Marina one?

Many thanks!

Way to much. I just picked one up here in rocky for $86.00 and was in Calgary 3 days later and seen them at pet ceteria(sp)

For $56.00. They were the 50 ft. ones. Did not make my day...lol I'm sure you can find them cheaper than $95.00.

I don't have a python but don't feel;

I need one either.

I use a coil garden hose connected to my kitchen sink. I use a simple siphon vacuum with a long hose (bought by the foot at Princess Auto) to siphon the tank water out to my gardens most of the year , rest of the time to the bathtub. I add Prime to the tank then refill with the hose from the sink. I use buckets only to clean filters , then hubby empties them.

I don't have a python but don't feel I need one either.

I use a coil garden hose connected to my kitchen sink. I use a simple siphon vacuum with a long hose (bought by the foot at Princess Auto) to siphon the tank water out to my gardens most of the year , rest of the time to the bathtub. I add Prime to the tank then refill with the hose from the sink. I use buckets only to clean filters , then hubby empties them.

This sounds like a great and cheap alternative!

EDIT: I did a Google search and came up with this: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_python.php

Is this basically what you did? Since you mentioned siphoning the water out to the garden or bathtub, I imagine you attach a second hose to the outflow of the fill & drain?

Edited by Shai

Nah , no refill kit. Just use gravity. The hose was $10 on sale at Zellers, the tubing from Princess Auto was .49 a foot. I had bought enough to reach my flower beds. The brass adapter for the kitchen sink was $3. The vac I already had http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?...;utm_source=cse

To start the siphon once I have the drain end where it needs to be (and lower than the intake), I fill the vac with water hold it up , once it starts to empty I quickly refill it and leave it under the water surface. It's that easy to get it going , gravity is my friend :thumbs: . Once I've sucked through the gravel and removed all the water I need to , just pull it out. I empty the tubing and put it away. Then add enough Prime for the tank volume. I connect the garden hose , run it in the sink to adjust the temp then take it over to fill the tank. I recommend to use all brass fittings to avoid leaks and breakage. I use the "rain" setting on the nossle as it puts plenty of aeration and minimal water disturbance going into the tank. Some of the fish love to play in the water movement as it goes in . I do have a shut off valve set into my tubing about 3 feet away from the vac, this enables me to move the vac from one tank to the next, refill the vac head , turn "open" the valve and the siphon action continues. As far as mobility with the hose , let go of the triger on the nossle and move the hose to the next tank to fill. While one tank is draining I can work on others as far as inner glass cleaning, stirring up detrious in the gravel or under decor, replanting plants that have been dug up etc. Don't leave the room where you are draining or filling though per chance you forget lol.I get all my tanks done in one morning every week . I have nearly 700 gallons of tanks so that's nearly 400 of water going out then new water going in. ONLY use Prime for this though , none of the other products I've tried can handle this , they don't work effectively enough to treat the water from the tap as it fills the tanks.

Edited by Qattarra

I do pretty much the same as Qattarra describes, works very well!

Also use prime, never seem to have a problem. Even the discus don't mind.

John

"Nah , no refill kit. Just use gravity."

I already use Prime, thanks.

Just use gravity.

Thanks for all the info! Gravity would probably be an issue in my place though, it's 68 feet long and all one floor. The sink is about level with the tanks and about 15 feet away from the biggest tank. The bathtub is about 40 feet down the length of the house so the hose would be flat on the floor before climbing back up over the edge of the tub. In summer running the hose into the backyard would be another 10 or 15 feet from the tub (so practically the whole 68 feet) to get to the back window. That's a lot of horizontal space to conquer! I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.

Yup loads of tubing there lol. The tubing going lower/higher than the tank won't matter as long as the end of the tubing is lower. You can buy a Python or other brand 50' long but if you need it longer you can buy the tubing by the foot. The larger the diamiter of the tubing the faster you can drain.

That sounds more costly , they are charging $1.00 a foot. Tubing at Princess Auto ran around the.50 mark depending on diameter. So a watebed fill kit plus tubing is cheaper. I'd check the Goodwills for donated refill kits.