Krib problem!

jus_sum_guy

Hiya,

Need some advice...

5 days ago I bought a pair of Kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher)...

From the moment I put them into the tank, the female keeps "attacking" the male.

Here's what happens all the time...

1) Male comes out into the open to feed, swim or whatever and the female chases it away.

2) Female spots male in hiding spot and chases it. In some situations, the male stays put and the female seems to "headbutt" it about 8 times until the male takes off

Is this an unusually aggressive female? Should I get rid of it?

The tank is a well planted 20g with lots of rocks. Tankmates are 3 danios and 2 upside down catfish

Thanks in advance!

Are you positive that you have a male and a female? The first krib couple I bought, I was ASSURED that there was a female and a male, but it turned out that they were both male and the dominant male constantly bullied the other one. My friend ended up buying two females and I traded the subdominant male to her for a female.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

It could be that they mated and she now sees him as a predator of the eggs/wigglers. I had a similar issue with my kribs. Kind of a marital spat. I know that they haven't been in the tank long, but it's definitely long enough for them to have mated. Kribs are almost as bad as convicts or guppies. Just add water. Back to the issue.... I ended up seperating them into different tanks for about a month. Put her back in and it was love at first sight. Or maybe second sight as the case may be.

Females are easy to spot, their bellies get dark purple. Males have longer dorsal and anal fins.