feel like im gonna puke

newbie2

So I am doing a filter cleaning on my 90g tank. I have a Ehiem 2217 and have only had it for three weeks. When I go to start it back up the discharge gasket between the "double valve" arrangement leaks. It leaks pretty bad just priming so I havent put it on yet. What can I do. Then only other tanks I have are a couple 20g with HOB filters, both full of fish. Have to work tommorow so I cant get anything till wednesday.

I would never leave a tank with fish w/o their filter. You have one tank in trouble, you don't want to make it two.

Don't feed them again until you have the filter back up. Add an air bubbler or two. Any extra filters around? I'd also take the media out of the canister if it is seeded with the good bacteria and put in directly into the tank , don't let them die. They can still be effective even without the water running through for now.

Check and make sure the seals are properly seated and reprime it.

The gasket looks good. It seams to fit snuggly. I don't get it, it was working when i took it apart. ive tried to reprime. very strange. wouldnt be a big deal if it was a little earlier in the day. How long can they make it with just a couple air bubblers?

6 angels,

7 congos,

1 bn pleco

4 bolivian rams

unfortunately i dont have another filter around.

Usually the first thing that happens is they run out of desolved O2, so keeping the surface moving with the bubbles will help keep that from happening. If you don't feed them that will greatly reduce the wastes. As long as the bacteria in the filter didn't dry out, they may not have died out. Over 12 hours though might be too much. Can you spare some good filthy sponge from another filter? If so put in the tank. They should be alright for a couple days until you get the filter working. I've never used the olive oil on rubber gaskets but I do use vaseline on older ones, it swells them back up to former glory.

If this is a new filter the gasket must be ok. Check the re-assembly, something is not quite right. These are fantastic filters. If you don't have the assembly diagram it'll be online.

Just remove the double valve assembly and connect the hose directly to the filter. You can manage the difficulty of shutting in the filter in after you fix/replace the valve. I suppose you could always pinch the tubing with a clamp later when you need to disconnect things again.

Well now It seems i have found the problem. There is a crack in the female end of the two valve assembly. just a hairline that gets worse when tightened. I dont have any crazy glue but do have some bathroom sealant. Is this toxic to fish?.

well looking at the internet it seems that the silicone i have won't work. The other option is running to seven eleven and grabbing some crazy glue. Will this be okay with the fish?

well looking at the internet it seems that the silicone i have won't work. The other option is running to seven eleven and grabbing some crazy glue. Will this be okay with the fish?

I would not see why there would be a problem with the crazy glue It is used to mount corals in reef tanks and they are more touchy then fresh water.

I will replace it on wednesday, just trying to get till then. The air pumps I had don't work anymore so dont have many other options right now. I figure if I glue it together I can replace it wednesday.