Taking a Tank Apart

Hi, everybody. As most of you know, I am in the process of trying to return a 150 gallon exploded tank to Petsmart. The good news is that they will give me my money back. The bad news is I have to move the tank and stand back to the store. I am, however, allowed to return it in pieces i.e. slit the silicone and bring it back as panes of glass.

Does anyone know a slick way of taking a tank apart? Last night we were trying to remove the top piece to get to the silicone, and we could not even get the top piece off.

Any tips or tricks from somebody who has tried to do this before?

Why do you want to bring it back in pieces? I'd think that would be WAY more work then just bringing the tank back whole.

To remove the silicon you need LOTS of razorblades and just keep slicing untill you cut away the silicon and break the seal. When you get one pane of glass out the others will be easy to break apart.

The tank weighs over two hundred pounds, and my significant other was in a car accident and hurt his back so he cannot help to move it. We thought if it was easy enough to take it apart, we could between the two of us move the individual panes of glass.

However, we are having a heck of a time trying to remove the top piece to even get to the silicone. I might have to send out a help needed/cold beer provided kind of post!

Bizarre story but a 60 gallon Petsmart tank just exploded at my office. Petsmart did the same.

As far as taking the tank apart go to rona and buy silicone b gone remover all you do is paint it on and leave it over night. It will give enough for you to break the tank apart. Razorblades are not nearly as needed using this route.

That is a great idea, rudy! I had never heard of this product before. However, at this point, we cannot even get to the silicone. First we have to get that top piece off. Thanks for a wonderful idea, though. If we can figure out how to get the top piece off I shall definitely be picking up some of that stuff.

So you had a 60 gallon explode in your office. Did you manage to save the fishes? We saved everybody but spent Christmas Eve doing eight hours of hard labour saving fish and cleaning up water.

That is a great idea, rudy! I had never heard of this product before. However, at this point, we cannot even get to the silicone. First we have to get that top piece off. Thanks for a wonderful idea, though. If we can figure out how to get the top piece off I shall definitely be picking up some of that stuff.

So you had a 60 gallon explode in your office. Did you manage to save the fishes? We saved everybody but spent Christmas Eve doing eight hours of hard labour saving fish and cleaning up water.

I would still try it on the top piece. You would be surprised how well it eats through the silicone.

We had a $5000 bill from ours, but no fish were in it. Another coincidence is that this happened Christmas eve

apparently perfecto got a bad batch of tanks between a year ago and a year n 4 months ago.

i happened to buy one of their 50 gallon tanks and have the seal blow out on it.

just to not repeat previous mistakes, check over the tank VERY VERY well if you happen to buy a tank from

petsmart.

nothing against the company, they just happen to get some crappy tanks

Is that what they told you?

The first 150 gallon aquarium we bought from them that exploded the seal was three years ago. At two years old it gave way. The last one (exact same - replacement tank and stand) did not even last a whole year.

rudy, that is so strange that our tanks blew up on the exact same night!!!

The tank weighs over two hundred pounds, and my significant other was in a car accident and hurt his back so he cannot help to move it. We thought if it was easy enough to take it apart, we could between the two of us move the individual panes of glass.

However, we are having a heck of a time trying to remove the top piece to even get to the silicone. I might have to send out a help needed/cold beer provided kind of post!

or take a hammer a smash it into smaller pieces :shock: more trips but not as heavy :tongue:

We have considered it. Trust me! However, to update you, we tried out that cool 2x4 trick and managed to get the top off the tank. Rod actually used a 4x4 and said it worked awesome. Now we have some of that silicone be gone stuff on there and we are going to try to break it apart this weekend.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!