Whats the best way to filter an aquarium?

Webbed toes

I recently bought a 50 gallon aquarium that came with a fluval 240 canister filter. Im cycling the tank now and am noticing the tank is slightly murky, and there are floaties on the top that have been swirling around for days now. Seems to me this isn't an effective way to filter the water. I put a new carbon filter bag in it, and it came with the sponges and the ammonia remover stones. My aquaclear 50 that I have in my 25 gallon seems to do a really good job. These are the only two I have ever worked with. I'm looking to hear some suggestions of good filters, before I go out and by a new one. If anyone has one they live by I'd love to hear about it.

Depending on how you're planning to stock the 50g tank, you will likely want considerably more filtration than a Fluval 204 will offer. I run a 404 and two AC50's on my 58, and all that is in it at the moment is a single female dovii. The best way to figure out filtration is by calculating turnover rate. Perhaps this thread will help get you started.

What kind of fish are yo uplanning on keeping? Light stocking or heavy stocking? plants or no plants?

I use Aquaclear filter on most of my tanks. They are easy to use/clean, cheap and turn over the water at a high rate.

But more recently I have replaced my AC filter on my 58g planted tank for a XP3 cannister filter. Its a great cannister and does a good job on the tank. The filter is a bit harder to use then a AC filter but its not too bad and you dont' have to clean a cannister as much(if you use a prefilter sponge).

the key to filtration in my books is benificial aerobic and aerobic bacteria.

i try not to use a lot of carbon on my filters and tonnes of biomax.

i have aquaclears as well and they work very well.

if you have larger fish the rena filstar isnt a bad idea.

IMO id go with a fluval FX5.

Quinn

whichever filter you choose, buy at least one size larger than the aquarium size recommended on the box.

and run multiple filters. ie canister+hob

and look into eheim classic

Im planning on putting in plants, as well as a medium stocked tank. Not sure exactly what fish, but something like discus or angels. Something along those lines.

Lots of plants? You can get away with a much smaller filter than normal.

A moderate to heavily planted tank doesn't need much (if anything) in the way of biological filtration. Basically, you would only be using the filter for water movement and mechanical filtration. If you're going to be adding CO2, you don't want a high flow rate churning up the surface.

Also, if you plant generously right from the start, you don't even need to cycle the tank. :thumbs:

Lots of plants? You can get away with a much smaller filter than normal.

A moderate to heavily planted tank doesn't need much (if anything) in the way of biological filtration. Basically, you would only be using the filter for water movement and mechanical filtration. If you're going to be adding CO2, you don't want a high flow rate churning up the surface.

Also, if you plant generously right from the start, you don't even need to cycle the tank. :thumbs:

Really? Thats some great info. I decided on a aquaclear 70, because of the ease of finding media for it, advice from others, as well as the success of the smaller one in my 25 gallon. Good to know about the plants, I LOVE live plants. I like to keep it as natural as possible. Thanks for all the tips everyone!!!!

I use a resun AE-806 canister filter rated for a 140 gal tank and a A/C 500 on a 55 gal planted tank.

Also have a Boyu EFU-45 canister with built in UV sterilizer rated for 180 gal tank as well as the filter that came built into to the canopy of my 72 gal planted tank. The water in these tanks is crystal clear.

• 3 weeks later...

do yourself a favour, take that filter, and smash it! :chair: . rid yourself of that piece of crap as quick as you can!!! :chair: :chair: even on my small tanks i build my own trickle filter out of a 10-33 gal tank and buy an overflow box and a mag drive and voila! the simplest,most reliable,easiest to maintain,most efficiant filter you can own. i gave up on fluval years ago,and havent missed em one bit! :drunk: