best filter for the price

Chopperman

well i as you may have or havent noticed my fluval 303 cannister cracked. I am having trouble finding the part I need. So I might have to bite the bullet and purchase a new cannister filter. Now Im looking for something for 70-120 gallon tank. its for a 60 gallon. I have thought of a rena xp3 and havent heard anything bad about them but does anyone have any experience or advice about a fluval 304 or even a cascade? I know the newer filters arent as stout as the 303 and my gorrilla hands arent too gentle. but im hoping i can retrofit some parts such as valves, hoses and such. If i cant find the part needed by early next week then I will have too buy a new one. the a/c 50 just doesnt cut it. Thanks

I think the best filter for the price is probably the FX5. But I am not convinced that it isn't too much flow for a 60 gallon tank. I know I wouldn't put it on my 58 gallon GeoSystem tank. I would run the XP3 (I have two in addition to other filtration on my 150) or a Fluval 404. The 404 might allow you to keep your current hoses and such in place...none of the others will. I am running a Fluval 404 and two AC50s on my 58 currently and its always worked well for me. Good luck.

I really like the xp3 and run one on my 72g cichlid tank. Had no issues with it at all. Most people love the fx5, but I found mine would stop working quite often, but I think it is just my unit in particular. Had a fluval 404 and actually went to the xp3 instead due to issues with leaking, the impeller, etc. etc. it got to be so I just couldn't fix the leak anymore. Just my 2 cents anyhoo.

Edited by sharuq1

If you're just looking for a "normal" canister, I like the Rena XP line for the price. That being said, if you want a "real" filter, the FX5 is tough to beat!

I have 2 of the xp 3 filters and love the ease of service.

also have two XP3's on my 90Gal. Love them, never had an issue and they have both been running continuously for almost three years now. I went with XP's after a friend of mine had issue after issue with his Fluval.

I may be somewhat biased though as I have never owned any other canister filter other than a RENA.

The PennPlax Cascade line is also good value for the money. Lots of media room, easy start up, double-isolating valves, etc. They have a few different sizes, depending on how much flow/media you need. I'm running a Cascade 1000 on my 60.

On my tanks in the basement I run a Magnum HOT, a Magnum 350, various combinations of Aquaclears and Emperor biowheels, but my absolute fave filter is the Eheim 2217 I have here in my office... not known to be super "affordable", but I'd say good value for the long haul....

As with any canister, maintenance is greatly reduced if you also run a HOB to catch the coarse particulates.

Unless its a smaller tank (<30 gallons or so), my opinion is you're always better off with two filters, unless its a planted tank. B)

Well I did get an xp3 today. Theyre on sale so why not, I say. But now Ive got my fluval running again, so I have an xp3 also, maybe i'll put the xp3 and the fluval on the 60 gal to seed the xp3 and someone could sell me a 90 or 120g for cheap. :smokey: