Member of he month!

Personally I think the whole member of the month thing is a joke! Half the time the person picked has contributed very little to the forum... why waste your time drawing a name out of a hat and congradulating the person after ...

My suggestion would be to pick the person who posts the most viewed or responded to topic each month...... and if the person is the same person the next month / who cares let them re-win the monthly prize again..

This is the only real way to maintain the integrity of something like this......

Or maybe the person who dose the most good for other member,s

Do you tink I will ever win... > LOL :blush::blush::blush:

Or maybe the person who dose the most good for other member,s

Do you tink I will ever win... > LOL :blush::blush::blush:

Actually Frank .... thats not a bad idea either..

I just think that some substance has to be given to the prize to make it worthy of something.... there could be a colaberation of reasons why the person wins the prize .... including your idea...

For the most part we do give it to people who contribute to the forum.

Though once and awhile we will give it to a new member just as a welcoming gift.

Now with that said i would like a P.M. from everyone who replied to this topic on who recieved a MOTM, but didn't deserve it.

Though once and awhile we will give it to a new member just as a welcoming gift.

Now with that said i would like a P.M. from everyone who replied to this topic on who recieved a MOTM, but didn't deserve it.

Done ...my pm is sent

Edited by corrosionjerry

:boxed: Wow!

Personally I think the Member of the Month is a fantastic idea! The moderators of this forum have done a wonderful job in selection of the Members of the Months.

It's a positive, gives people and unexpected surprize and feeling their input here is valued and appreciated.

WHO are you to decide if ONE persons input is not WORTHY of being of value your not?

So, one person who KNOWS ALot of information and receives more then the person who knows little but offers great advice when they can?

I personally applaud the forum and its welcome, keep the Member of the Month the way it is, don't change a thing.

I know when I did receive the Member of the Month I felt to be a welcomed member of the forum and my input was of appreciation even If I had little experience compared to alot of others whom been in fish keeping longer.

Site Mods you have :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: five thumbs up for a job well done

All other Members of the Month, I feel you are all deserving and hope you have enjoyed your prize, its a little reminder that not always do we have to have the know but ask questions feel free! Your questions and answers ARE WORTHY !

:boxed: Wow!

Personally I think the Member of the Month is a fantastic idea! The moderators of this forum have done a wonderful job in selection of the Members of the Months.

It's a positive, gives people and unexpected surprize and feeling their input here is valued and appreciated.

WHO are you to decide if ONE persons input is not WORTHY of being of value your not?

So, one person who KNOWS ALot of information and receives more then the person who knows little but offers great advice when they can?

I personally applaud the forum and its welcome, keep the Member of the Month the way it is, don't change a thing.

I know when I did receive the Member of the Month I felt to be a welcomed member of the forum and my input was of appreciation even If I had little experience compared to alot of others whom been in fish keeping longer.

Site Mods you have :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: five thumbs up for a job well done

All other Members of the Month, I feel you are all deserving and hope you have enjoyed your prize, its a little reminder that not always do we have to have the know but ask questions feel free! Your questions and answers ARE WORTHY !

You missed the point!

Done ...my pm is sent

Sour grapes makes whine...

I think this feature of the website is a good thing. We should be happy for those who have been named MOTM, not envious. If your interest lies in making trouble and disparaging other members than I think you don't have the best interests of this community at heart. The MOTM is just another tool to encourage the developement of good fishkeeping practices in this hobby and to reward that desire to improve ones' fishkeeping abilities and body of knowledge.

Why does the selection of candidates matter to you anyhow?

Edited by BooUrns!

You missed the point!

Maybe you've missed the point of Member of the Month, its not about HOW MUCH... it's the positive, questions and answers they bring. A feeling of coming here being welcomed and giving an opportunity to share knowledge they aquired in their hobby.

Some may have valuable information, shared only once. This is a forum of getting together sharing what little we know, what little we don't know and gaining knowledge and possibly friendships along the way.

Member of the month should NOT be a Competition! That is better left to sports!

I would suggest if you want a more competitive choice, a suggestion to moderators would be of more value such as

Photo contests

Breeding ribbons

Plant photo contests

Aquarium photo contests

Maybe a prize for those...

Cutting down the Members who've in the Past got recongized in the Member of the Month because You felt they weren't worth should have been better brought up to MODS in private and addressed ... miffed that this was even brought UP!

Ok... enough is enough

I just simply wanted to put more merrit to the award!

I did not intend on hurting anyones feelings that had won based on its the present format.... Just as Nandopsis stated ... it wasnt given out for anyone reason... I am simply stating that I think it should be done on substance ... value that it a person adds to the forum etc..

Saying that its probably not practical .... so ignore my thoughts....

Am I not allowed to make a suggestion?

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings that won in the past! Guess some people just dont like ideas thrown out there.......... :boxed:

Edited by corrosionjerry

miffed that this was even brought UP!

I concur.

For me, the most embarrasing aspect of this thread is not that there might be something wrong with the MOTM but rather the blatant assumption that the mods on this site ,sit around twiddle their thumbs and then choose one of the many members out of a hat. I know a couple of the mods personally and know that they take a lot more pride in this site than that.

As a noob to the site and a rather new hobbyist I also am embarrased that someone would assume that quanitity demonstrates a greater value than encouraging those who are just starting out or those who are trying to get involved more and more.

If there are future suggestions please remeber to give them either in private if you are unable to refrain from devaluing others on a pubic forum, or making them in a mature and appropriate manner that respects all involved.

Thanks for even having a MOTM.

I'm going to assume this thread was started because I was made member of the month---I'm truly sorry that some of you feel this way. I always thought this was a special community and I enjoy being part of it.

I'm going to assume this thread was started because I was made member of the month---I'm truly sorry that some of you feel this way. I always thought this was a special community and I enjoy being part of it.

Not at all your pictures and input are appreciated... carry on with the great posts!

My bad timing and choice of words...

Think I better take a holliday... sorry if I upset you not intended for sure...

Edited by corrosionjerry

I always thought that the members where given the award based on there participation on the board. Such as Slough Shark getting the photo section moving, Patrick sharing his great photos with us, FLIP just being here to help better him self in the hobby and the list goes on. I never once thought that there were any hard criteria for this award and I am happy with the way it is being run.