New cichlid tank

cerebus

I'm just in the process of starting up a new tank for some cichlids that I anticipate buying at the upcoming ACE Auction. I've decided to go with sand substrate, and picked up some kids' play sand at Toys R Us. The bag says the sand has been prewashed and dried, so I'm wondering what (if anything) I need to do before putting it in the tank? Should I rinse it again? And, if so, any tips on how to go about this without having tons of sand going throught the strainer and down my drain?

I would still rinse it to make sure its clean. You wouldnt' wan to add it to your tank and have it be really cloudy. When cleaning sand its easiest if you put it in a 5g pail, add water to cover and swish your sand around in it. Then pour off the water by tipping the bucket untill you reach the sand. Then repeat the process untill the water runs clean.

Just FYI, I went with Pool Filter Sand for my 180g (150 lbs of it) and it rinsed up really well. It settled within 2 hours, and does not get easily stirred up. Tank is crystal, and looks great. Got the sand at Western Pump on 42nd, 50lb bag for about 14 bucks.

Good luck with it!

Heyyyyy that IS a good idea! And so timely considering I'm going to be rinsing 3 bags of Tahitian Moon tomorrow! :thumbs:

Kyle I got mine at the Boxing Day sale for super cheap... sorry I can't help ya there...

Yep, pool filter sand is the only way to go. Cleans fast & easy, and doesn't create dust storms like most of the play sands out there.

Kyle - WTH does a purist like yourself want with black sand? :w00t:

Edited by RD.

Another great sand that I use in most of my tanks now is frac sand, used by the oil and gas industry for fracturing wells. It's a silica sand, and comes in a number of different sizes. If you know someone in the industry they should know where you can get ahold of it. It is almost always VERY clean already as their use of it demands that there be no other particles in it, and size is very consistent too (I've usually just dumped it in the tank and with an hour the filter has cleared the water). Best of all, it's always been free in my experience! (they do look at your strange when you walk up and ask for two 5-gallon pails of it from their semiload/hopper though).