Bottom Dweller(s) for 20g

Argentis

Hi, I'm in the process of stocking my 20g tank (24" X 12" X 14ish"), and I can't decide on some bottom dwellers. Right now, it's a toss-up between cory cats (not sure what species specifically yet), and a small pleco, probably a clown or bristlenose, based on what I've seen in LFS around here.

I really like the looks of the plecos, but are they veryactive? I had corys before, and they were always on the move. I also really like the look of the spotted raphael cat, but I've read they are noctournal, and I'm not too sure I want a fish that I'll almost never see. I haven't had too much luck with Otto cats, so I'm not really too thrilled about getting more of these guys. They were great, but they seemed pretty fragile the last few times I've bought them.

So are there any other options for me to consider? Another option might be a very slow growing species, since I am getting a 75g+ tank in about a year's time.

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Argentis

I'd go with a small school of corys (or a large school, if you go with a dwarf species) and a pleco. Clowns stay about 1/2 the size of BNs, but both are more nocturnal. I think a Clown plec is more suited to a 20 gal than a BN.

Very cool, that's great news Jason. Thanks for the reply.

Edit: What species of Cory cats would you recommend? I like both the Elegens and bronze cory species. Would a trio of these guys be ok? Or I guess maybe 4 Panda corys, and a clown pelco perhaps.

Edited by Argentis

I'd go w. at least 4 corys - they like company. If you like C. hasbrosus or C. hastatus, then you could easily go w. 12

I purchased 3 Hara Hara Catfish (Indian Moth Catfish) from Henry. They stay small (2.5 - 2.75") and they look a lot like the Raphaels. However, they do not seem as nocturnal as the Raphs.

I enjoy watching them check out the tank with their "whiskers". :)

Jason, I'm also planning to add the following, I might be a bit overstocked with 12 dwarf corys.

Here's what I have in the tank right now:

4 Blue swordtails

Here's what I'd like to add:

6 Neon tetras or small rainbows (threadfin or celebes)

1 Clown pleco

6 dwarf corys

1 African butterflyfish - not 100% sure about this one, might be pushing the stocking with this.

I'm also open to other suggestions on other fish.

Argentis

Also, can any Calgarians let me know where I can find the dwarf corys mentioned above?

Edited by Argentis

The butterfly will eat most of those fish - they've got huge mouths! :w00t:

Otherwise, you look good.

The only thing you have to watch with clown plecos is that they need wood so you will also need some bogwood.

The only thing you have to watch with clown plecos is that they need wood so you will also need some bogwood.

This goes for most plecos, so clown or BN it's a good idea.

Aquagiant has a really good price on bogwood.

• 1 month later...
I purchased 3 Hara Hara Catfish (Indian Moth Catfish) from Henry. They stay small (2.5 - 2.75") and they look a lot like the Raphaels. However, they do not seem as nocturnal as the Raphs.

I enjoy watching them check out the tank with their "whiskers". :)

Do Hara hara or raphaels eat other bottom feeders or fish?

Do they eat algae?

Years ago I had a raphael in a tank with some oscars and he was fine. Now I've got a tank full of livebearers that I qutie like but am having some issues with algea and am thinking of adding another bottom feeder.

Years ago I had a raphael in a tank with some oscars and he was fine. Now I've got a tank full of livebearers that I qutie like but am having some issues with algea and am thinking of adding another bottom feeder.

A bottom feeder will not eat your algae you need a pleco or oto or some other algae eating fish.