FX5 sponge

African_Fever

Just thought I'd let everyone know, in case you're interested in using something that may be a bit longer-lived than the fluval 'fine filter pad' (the blue round ones that fit in the middle), or in case you want to run foam in the entire filter; the round filter pads etc. made for the 2215 Eheim Classic will fit in the middle of the FX5. It definitely opens up the options of available media for the middle anyways.

I usually use Eheim ehfisubstrat in all three of the middle trays, or possibly the fluval media in one, with a sponge on top of each tray. This last time I used ehfisubstrate in the top two, and the eheim sponges in the bottom one. I don't know what sort of difference a different order would make.

I usually use Eheim ehfisubstrat in all three of the middle trays, or possibly the fluval media in one, with a sponge on top of each tray. This last time I used ehfisubstrate in the top two, and the eheim sponges in the bottom one. I don't know what sort of difference a different order would make.

I have a ton of biomax Is there that much of a difference?

I use hydor sponges on the bottom 2 and bio-max rings in the top chamber. I only have to clean filters once every 4-6 mos and even then they aren't that dirty but I do weekly and often bi-weekly water changes of 40-50% on a 228 gal tank filtered by 2 FX5.

Edited by RDFISHGUY

I use hydor sponges on the bottom 2 and bio-max rings in the top chamber. I only have to clean filters once every 4-6 mos and even then they aren't that dirty but I do weekly and often bi-weekly water changes of 40-50% on a 228 gal tank filtered by 2 FX5.

How about the use of Lava rock instead of biomax? is there any reason why this wouldnt be as good and more economical....

After a few years (or less if your tank is really dirty) the lava rock can become clogged. I used it b/c its super cheap, but have since found an even cheaper biomedia that doesn't clog! Pot scrubbers. Packs of 6 for $1 @ Dollarama.

After a few years (or less if your tank is really dirty) the lava rock can become clogged. I used it b/c its super cheap, but have since found an even cheaper biomedia that doesn't clog! Pot scrubbers. Packs of 6 for $1 @ Dollarama.

You are so resourceful Jason... thanks for the tip