Bad day of fishing in the African fish tank

corrosionjerry

I tried to catch some fry in my African tank with a fish trap made from a 1 litre bottle and a string around the spout... I put in some NLS wafer and punctured a few small holes in the bottom of the bottle.... its been on the tank bottom sitting horizontal for a day now and I still have seen nothing go inside it...

any suggestions... I really do not want to tear apart my tank setup to get these fry out of there....

Might as while get at it Jerry and tear the tank down. Best way I konw unless they are BN.

What kind of fry??

I have tried the pop bottle trap but ended up only catching 2 fry after 3 days of trying.

Unfortunately the only way to catch fry in a rock filled tank is to remove the rocks.

How big are the fry?

IN my 90g, when I try to catch fish I remove the rocks from one side of the tank. Then use a divider. I use nets/ my hands to herd/scare the fish from the rock side into the empty side. Its much easier to catch the fish using the divider. Once I spent 45mins trying to net some fish in the tank full of rocks. After 45mins of not coming close to catching anything, I gave up and did the method mentioned above. After 10mins I had caught all the fish I needed.

Might as while get at it Jerry and tear the tank down. Best way I konw unless they are BN.

What kind of fry??

Electric Yellow Fry and they are about 1/2 - 1 inch in length.... I did leave the trap in overnight and still have nothing in it...

Looks like I have to tear down the tank! That sucks as there is a lot of rockwork in there

It will be interesting even after the rock work is out of the tank with how the big fish in tank act when I go fishing with a net.... hopefuly they dont decide to try and fly!

I wll try to partition tank if I can and use a large net....

I just finished doing just that. It's just as well as you can vacuum up the detrius that has built up under the mountain. I needed to catch one of the cyans to bring for a fellow member on Sunday. I tried catching them an hour after dark before , twice , was completely unsuccessful. So yes, yesterday the rocks came out, the bottom got vacuumed and the glass cleaned. Not to mention, the water had to be down at 50% , the net very large and the action slow, but no one got freaked and I caught my limit . :D

Yes we have used the siphoning method with great results. Have pulled whole batches of fry out of a 150 gallon tank, and that includes demasoni babies, which are quite small.

We just used a siphoning hose and siphoned them into a five gallon pail. Worked awesome. The best time to get them is when they are still really young and hanging out in a sort of "ball" formation.

I just finished doing just that. It's just as well as you can vacuum up the detrius that has built up under the mountain. I needed to catch one of the cyans to bring for a fellow member on Sunday. I tried catching them an hour after dark before , twice , was completely unsuccessful. So yes, yesterday the rocks came out, the bottom got vacuumed and the glass cleaned. Not to mention, the water had to be down at 50% , the net very large and the action slow, but no one got freaked and I caught my limit . :D

Tearing down the tank turned out to be a good idea... I caught the fish quickly once 50% of the water was out and I removed all the rock work and did a total vac and cleanup... and redesigned the

rock work for a different look... even the fish seem to like the new suroundings.... next time I will not hesitate to do this as the fish trap was a waste of time in my opinion...