low flow fx5

Stacey

I've had this filter for about 3 weeks now.... and I'm not impressed. The water from the output is pretty much non-existent. When I put my hand in front of the output nozzle I cannot feel any water movement. A friend of mine has one, and he says his feels like he's put his hand in front of a garden hose. Something is clearly not right here. As far as I know, I've put it together correctly. It is running, making noise, the media in the filter is lightly soiled....... I just think it should be running better. Can anyone suggest anything I may have overlooked? I will be calling the manufacturer tomorrow for more specific troubleshooting. I don't know weather I just got a dud, or if I set it up incorrectly..... any input appreciated.

Good job Stacey. Had me worried. Are you still getting lots of air.?

Good job Stacey. Had me worried. Are you still getting lots of air.?

The air problem is fixed..... I think actually the problem was a different noisy filter on that tank. That's the trouble with running 7 filters on 4 tanks all in the same room.... can be hard to tell which one is running funny!

Also, as soon as I fixed the media problem with the fx5 and started it back up, the motor ran MUCH quieter.

I feel like such an idiot...... :blush: I put all the media in from the old filter, PLUS some extra. The filter pad on the very bottom was squished paper thin!

thanks again guys!

9 times out of 10 it is from to much filter media.

I have one. After about two months, I was getting small bubbles from mine all the time. I cleaned all the foam pieces, and put it back together. Still bubbles. I took apart the impeller area, cleaned and put it back together. Still bubbles. :well: Cleaned all the biomax and put in a new polishing pad. Still bubbles. Then I remembered that when I first started this tank, I used a carbon bag under some pre-filter in the top tray. :bang1: I took that out, and what a difference in flow. Now it is a lot better and no bubbles. I am amazed that this pump has enough power that if you restrict the flow, intake side, it will pull air through the seal. Leon