OB Labeotropheus

Frank

:thumbs: Okay , I see tonight that one of the females is holding. Just got this bunch maybe a month ago from Allen.

Brought them home and put them in a 33 gal. There are 5 of them. From what I see there are 2 males and 3 females.

This fish is just wild . They go about a 100 miles a hour around the tank at all times...lol

Dig like crazy and are just wild. . So now I will have a bunch of fry. Hope they do not go as fast as mom and dad..lol

Hey Allen Want them back now that you have moved..lol :boxed:

:thumbs: Okay , I see tonight that one of the females is holding. Just got this bunch maybe a month ago from Allen.

Brought them home and put them in a 33 gal. There are 5 of them. From what I see there are 2 males and 3 females.

This fish is just wild . They go about a 100 miles a hour around the tank at all times...lol

Dig like crazy and are just wild. . So now I will have a bunch of fry. Hope they do not go as fast as mom and dad..lol

Congrats Frank! I love those guys. Are they fuelleborni or trewavasae?

Congrats Frank! I love those guys. Are they fuelleborni or trewavasae?

Yep...lol

Still trying to figure that one out Patrick.

Once I get the fry and some pics I will let You know.

I,m thinking I have both. Just need to get Pic,s frist to show.

Not only have the 5 ,I got from Allen . I have 3 others that do not show the OB Side.

The male is all blue and the female ,s are orange .

Will take a bit to figure out which are which

If they're mixed, there's a good chance you've got hybrids then. Trewavasae should be noticeable thinner than fuelleborni, with fuelleborni getting to 8" pretty easily.

Sorry I did not put that up right .

What I mean I have both , and there will be no Hybrids as they are in different tanks..

Sorry for the confusion.

But hey it was Friday night..lol :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay I need some help here .

I bought these guys as OB Labeotropheus. There are 2 males and 3 females.

When I do a google on that name it comes up and shows me Trewavasae and Fulleborni, which are the Blue males

and orange females which I have in another tank. So where does the Ob kind fit in. ??

Any info will be a great help. As I have fry from this group and would like to know for sure what I have.

Thanks

OB is probably one of the toughest fish to actually nail down as far as any specific type goes, unless you get them as wild caught (even then it could be touch and go as there's always a chance of OB females getting mixed in with females from a different location). I believe that you can find OB's in just about all the populations of fuelleborni and trewavasae - the problem is that in the hobby the OB's from various locations have been combined and essentially 'hybridized' (even though they're the same species, breeding fish from different locations would be considered hybridizing by many serious hobbyists). The amount of OB versus normal varies from population to population, with OB males (marmalade cats) not ever very common in the wild. I think the high number of OB males seen in the hobby in Labeotropheus is probably due to some 'fixing' of the colour due to selective breeding (same as the orange male Met. estherae). As far as what yours would be, it would be best to get a couple pics and post them. I'd guess that they're most likely fuelleborni as they seem to be the most commonly seen. Blue males and orange females isn't much of a help either, as that colour combination is seen in both fuelleborni and trewavasae.

The Labeotropheus Trevawasae are a species whose looks almost the same as the Labeotropheus Fulleborni . They share a great facial feature with Fuelleborni, a large rounded mouth that gives the appearance of a big nose. However the Trevawasae is a more slender fish. The males can be a combination of red and blue to all blue depending on which part of lake malawi they originate from but the females are usually orange and often blotched. As the OB Labeotropheus Fulleborni are more chunkier then the other species. If i'm getting what you are asking the OB kind don't fit in with either as they are there own separate kind.

The ones you have are the OB Labeotropheus Fulleborni.

Edited by bigfishal

Here is a crappy picture of a female.

DSCF0736-1.jpg

And this is the male.

DSCF0734.jpg

So this male and female would be OB Labeotropheus Fulleborni

And this female(in another tank) would be Labeotropheus Trevawasae.

DSCF0751.jpg