What should I breed in my 72g?

sharuq1

What should I breed in my 72g?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I'm not sure what I should stock my 72g with. I want to be able to breed something that people actually want, but not something that is going to take a ton of maintenance and work to keep the fry alive (like rainbows). Under "see reply" if you could please reply on this thread your suggestion that would be great. :)

Edited by sharuq1

In the Other type of cichlid category---- Cyps and Paracyps seem to have high interest right now as well as good quality ruby reds,albino D.compressiceps,P.spilonotus and tanganyikan shell dwellers

Edited by JORG

Possibly Discuss

Possibly Discuss

i agree here, i myself wish to breed the turqoise discus, but the good looking skinny half says not until you can get rid of the cichlids, so now im in a dilemma.

all the power to you dude, im sure it will be nice whatever you decide.

So I'm not sure what I should stock my 72g with. I want to be able to breed something that people actually want, but not something that is going to take a ton of maintenance and work to keep the fry alive (like rainbows). Under "see reply" if you could please reply on this thread your suggestion that would be great. :)

Usually what other people want is something they dont have or you dont for that matter ..... That means you have to find a spiecies that most dont have or one that is difficult to spawn etc...

Taiwan Reefs, Fryereri, and labs have been around and readily available for years from Gold's, and I know there's a bunch of people who are breeding my F1 yellow labs (I'm still keeping the odd spawn from my Wild/F1 breeding tank). I've always found Cyps/Paracyps to be one of the most beautiful Tangs, but they're definitely not for beginners and can be extremely sensitive to stress until they become established. Whenever I've had Cyp/Paracyp fry for sale there's been very little interest, so I haven't been keeping their spawns for probably a year (and I've got at least one female carrying all the time). Like Jerry said, if it's easy to breed, most likely someone is already doing it or there isn't much demand. Discus are always an option as they're not as easy to spawn and raise as many other cichlids. Or as Brad says, some new to the hobby Apisto's or plecos - no matter what fish you keep, everyone can add pleco's to their tank for algae control.

What kind of cyps/paracyps do you have African Fever? I was looking at some of Charles' fish, more specifically the Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis. Anyone know where I could find these without having to ship from another province?

sharuq1

I have always liked Neolamprologus caudopunctatus and you don't see them often. I have seen them bred in a 100 gal colony style. This breeder had the tank with about 4-6 inches of sand and baseball+ size rocks (round bolder type) – no caves or slate or anything like that. They spawn around/ on the rock and take very good care of their fry in a colony setting. The rocks/ pairs were not very far apart (6-8 inches) and the tank must have had close to 200+ fish in it (very tiny to adults). Basically each pair owns a rock that they stick around and protect. They did not seem to mind the smaller guys coming around - the mature pairs kept territories and the fry were everywhere - I mean the tank was full of them. I think I recall him telling me that he saw the larger fry spit out food for the smaller fry, but I just can’t remember. I had a few spawns myself and they seemed to go fast. Just make sure that if you get these guys to keep your tank well sealed!

I think these little guys are super pretty and for some reason they are eye catching and no picture does them justice - I guess I am a fan of these little guys...

Just a thought!

What kind of cyps/paracyps do you have African Fever? I was looking at some of Charles' fish, more specifically the Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis. Anyone know where I could find these without having to ship from another province?

I have around a dozen that are ready for a new home they are around 1-11/4 inches long If you make transport arrangements I let you have them

Clownfish or another type of sw species. More tank raised salties are always good to have on the market. Could perhaps prevent someone from purchasing one that has been caught with cyanide.