Idea for emptying tank - What kind of pump?

Molino

Alright, I'm a bit tired of using my python for emptying my fish tanks, first it's kind of slow, plus it wastes a lot of water. This is my idea and I'm looking for suggestions as to what type of pump would work. It does not need to be submersible. I'll still use my Python to re-fill the tanks.

Here is a diagram showing what I want to do, and I'd get some clamps to hold the hose in place at both ends.

Draining.jpg

Any suggestions? Anyone do this themselves, what do you use? I'd also like something that could run dry for short periods of time as well so that I don't have to fill the first section of hose leading up to the pump with water before I turn it on.

Thanks

I use a power head with a sponge on the ontake and a hose on the outlet.

I have used large powerheads and small pumps to do what you need. Like what Seejays said 1st.

I use my FX5,s. they come with a extra fitting. Just added hose to it and run it out the window.. Disconnect the outlet hose on the filter and put on the spare with the hose and pump all the water out the window. When I am done with the big tanks

I just stick the valve into the smaller tanks and open it.Sucks almost as fast as the filter. A bit slower but it works, not running my well pump and wasting water . Have checked out all kinds of pumps and they seem to be alot of money, so I make do with what I have for now.

Here is a diagram showing what I want to do, and I'd get some clamps to hold the hose in place at both ends.

Draining.jpg

Any suggestions?

My suggestion is not to hook up the pump in reverse, or your toilet will fill the tank :shifty: