50gal Long

BigA

Hey everyone. Had a question. I have a 50 gal long tank sitting at home doing nothing right now and I am trying to figure out what to put in it. I am debating between making another sw tank or brackish or maybe putting some africans in. As far as african, I was thinking tangs or vics (Patrick's fish always look so amazing).

Anyone have any input on what they think would work well in that tank? The dimensions are 48" x 12" x 18". It will have 2 AC 110s on it for filtration.

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to reading your responses!!!!

I think it lends itself well to a community of small tangs. With the long footprint, you could easily house 3 couples each defending and breeding in their own spaces. A little creative rockery and plants could divide the spaces nicely. I think it would be fun to watch the "neighbourhood".

I kinda like the idea of the dwarf snakeheads. What would be compatible with the snakeheads? Could I put any sort of bottomdweller that won't get eaten alive?

I was also thinking of maybe having a brackish tank as another possibility. Thoughts on that?

Edited by BigA

I'm interested in answers to this, too, as I've yet to decide what to do with my new 55 long. :rolleyes:

My personal interests lie in tropical planted community tank at the moment, so I'd love to see something with

tetras

killies

guppies

mollies

otos

danios

minnows

swordtails

a betta/ female bettas?

loaches (khuli / weather?)

And lots of plants!

But I really don't know what would actually work, or whether those are all truly compatible... I'd love to see what you eventually set up. :smokey:

Snakeheads will eat anything that'll fit in it's mouth... and may beat up anything else.

What about some oddballs? Smaller species of bichir or some fw puffers? Or a pleco community tank? Does anyone see any problems with those senarios?

Edited by BigA

The dimensions are 48" x 12" x 18".

By the dimensions that you gave, the tank is a 40 gallon. This is also not a very tall tank so you might want to stick to shorter plants. My favourite fish in my community tanks are zebra danios, cory cats, and the tetras (so many colors to choose).

I have a 48x12x18

It is a 45 gallon tank. A nice size with a 4 foot length. I run two AClear 70s (formerly AC 300 - which was a better way to designate by the gallons per hr)

Tanganyikans? You could probably do Cyprichromis in there (not jumbo tho')

Other lakes? I have P demasoni in mine right now. They are 1.5 inches in size and it is working so far. I had 5 P. saulosi adults in there for a bit before the demasoni and it was fine.

Edited by punman

No other thoughts on this? Anyone else have any other options that would be different?

Lake Victoria ofcourse. You could keep a group of 10-15 Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi Hunter" in that tank. It would be very entertaining :)

hunter0039-1000.jpg

No other thoughts on this? Anyone else have any other options that would be different?

Lake Victoria ofcourse. You could keep a group of 10-15 Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi Hunter" in that tank. It would be very entertaining :)

hunter0039-1000.jpg

Defintiely a beautiful fish.........