Drilling and Plumbing Tank

baker_jeff

So I have purchased a 20 gallon, and 2 10 gallons to sit under it. I would like to plumb the 20 and one 10 together. The third will be the hospital tank. I have never done this before. What size PVC is average to use, and what size hole do I want to drill? Does anyone have a bit I can borrow? How does a drain/plumbing work? Links would be great.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

On those small tanks, you could easily use 3/4" drain and, if you can fit it to your pump, 1/2" return. Actually, if they're not too far apart, you could probably use a large powerhead as your return pump.

Edited by jvision

On those small tanks, you could easily use 3/4" drain and, if you can fit it to your pump, 1/2" return. Actually, if they're not too far apart, you could probably use a large powerhead as your return pump.

Now, how does that work with a powerhead or pump? How do you keep the rate it pumps back up the same as it drains? How does it not empty or overflow?

They will only be maybe 30 inches apart.

Thanks!

Jeff

The water is pumped up into you display and "overflows" down your drain back to the sump. As long as nothing plugs nothing floods. :eh: Do lots of reading before you do any drilling might save a bunch of trouble down the road. I haven't drilled any yet cause I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

The water is pumped up into you display and "overflows" down your drain back to the sump. As long as nothing plugs nothing floods. :eh: Do lots of reading before you do any drilling might save a bunch of trouble down the road. I haven't drilled any yet cause I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

The simplicity of the system suddenly just clicked in my head. Doh! Thanks from everyone for the tips! :)

And what is the difference between standard thread and double thread bulkhead fittings?

Sidenote: Is black ABS pipe aquarium safe?

Standard thread is threaded outside only Double thread is inside as well.