Lexan Canopy, not too shabby

PintoHawk

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka.../fish/top_1.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka.../fish/top_2.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u302/ka.../fish/top_3.jpg

We gave up on doing the wooden canopy, it became way too complicated and pricy. I was super disappointed until I discovered this Lexan stuff, it's like a plexi-glass, but really strong, better than using real glass. I was able to cut out the holes for the filter & heater with a jigsaw, and sand the edges & corners so I won't get cut/scratched. Pretty groovy, IMO. It fits like a glove. Only thing I don't like is how it gets SO foggy because the water is heated. I was thinking I might cut a couple tiny vents in the top, on each side, to let the condensation escape a little bit.

We are still building the light box for the top, which will be ready by tomorrow night I think. Need to make it stable enough to sit on top and not be bothered too much by my curious furry creatures. ;)

Not too bad eh? The 29x12-inch piece of Lexan costs me $25 but I think it was worth it. That wooden attempt was making me crazy.

Oh, and you can see my male/female divider really well in these pictures, too. I used cross-stitch canvas (60cents/sheet at Wal-Mart) and aquarium-safe silicone to attach it front and back and bottom. It's a little crooked but I am happy with it. :D

Edited by PintoHawk

Your photo links are not working.

Ooops! Sorry! They should be working now. :D

Are you worried about it drooping in the middle? I have 2 pieces of acrylic as my cover on my tank and every so often I have to turn them over as they tend to droop down in the middle and don't stay flat. Mine are only 15x15" pieces. Not sure if lexan is an bendy, yours look s a bit thicker then mine too

It COULD droop, I suppose, but the light box will be long (20" or so) so won't put weight right in the middle, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, my divider is holding the center up anyways, LOL

It COULD droop, I suppose, but the light box will be long (20" or so) so won't put weight right in the middle, it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried the thick Lexan for a top (12inch x 24 inch) and they drooped really quick even with a center brace on the tank. I had my lights close to the lexan, but the light rested on the ends and the center brace, so it is not the wieght that makes them bend, I would blame the heat from the lights. Now I cut glass tops from old used windows.

You cut your own glass? That would be an excellent ability to have, heheh. :) I wish.

Oh, and it is 6mm thick.

Edited by PintoHawk

You cut your own glass?

It is very easy to cut glass as long as it is not tempered glass (the type of glass that shatters into millions of tiny pieces). A friend gave me a quick lesson and a glass cutting tool is about $5 at hardware store. A pair of leather gloves would be a good investment as well. Also needed is a straight edge (steel ruler or square) and clamps help to hold it in place are handy. Most old house windows just go to the dump anyways. After cutting, sand the edges to remove sharp spots and a single sided razor blade scraper will help to remove the old caulking and dirt.

I tried the thick Lexan for a top (12inch x 24 inch) and they drooped really quick even with a center brace on the tank. I had my lights close to the lexan, but the light rested on the ends and the center brace, so it is not the wieght that makes them bend, I would blame the heat from the lights. Now I cut glass tops from old used windows.

I didn't have any lights on mine and it still drooped. You can always put some of that eggcrate stuff under the lexan to keep it supported.

Byte - wow, thank you for that info, I had no idea. :)

You know, I might end up putting a little stabilizer in the center, a rafter across the middle, type of idea. That could work, too.

I was quoted $20 for custom cut glass, and they said it would be impossible to cut out holes for filter & heater, so I opted for the Lexan because it is so workable ($25, but worth it because of the ability to jigsaw & sand & manipulate overall). I don't care if it is transparent or not, actually, if I had a standard black canopy I wouldn't be able to see through it either, LOL. I am going for functionability here, not necessarily style. ;)

I love it, I am very happy with it. The divider I have in that tank helps hold the middle up, brace it, so although I have a little droop happening in the center, it's no big deal at all. I don't mind a little droop, if it gets bad I will add a center brace of some kind. This whole setup is way better by far than the tupperware lid I was using (temp) before. :)