Filters not pulling enough water...

PintoHawk

The story:

I have livebearers, and I am trying to set up excellent breeding environments, lots of plants & hiding places for the fry, as well as fry-safe filters, so I don't have to bother the fish very much, and they can be happier, healthier fish. Yes, I realize that leaving the fry with the parents will ask the parents to eat the fry, I have 2x 20 gallon tanks set up for breeding and rearing, as well as a 10 gallon, and I am trying my best to make them all fry-safe to ensure the survival of babies, but if some get eaten then I guess that was nature's choice, and I am ok with that because let's face it, I just cannot at this time afford a house FULL of fish, so I will make do with what I have. (I am looking at an additional 30 gallon for fry-rearing, but trying to figure out where I will put it first, haha.) Anyways, my filters seem to be greatly weakened by the fry-savers I have applied...

I have the following equipment:

20 gallon tank, with Aqua-Tech 20-40 filter, came with the starter kit

20 gallon tank with Aqua-Tech 10-20 filter, bought seperately

10 gallon tank with Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter, bought seperately

- all tanks are NOT filled to the top, about 2 inches of room left

The problem:

First, I took off the little grate thingy on the end of each filter tube, I covered the end with a small piece of panty-hose, and I used an elastic band to secure it on. I soaked the panty-hose really well to ensure the water was getting through without a problem. It worked great for about a day, then the end got all clogged. I rinsed it off and re-applied and put it back in the tank, worked great for about 4 hours and was all clogged again. Rinsed, re-applied. Worked for like 20 minutes, doesn't seem as clogged as before, but no suction, crappy filtration, it's just NOT pulling water. I did this with all 3 tanks.

I scooped the water with a net to try and get anything that was clogging the panty-hose OUT and I don't see anything and I hardly got anything at all.

Today I got frustrated with the panty-hose cleaning routine and I replaced all three with a piece of sponge. First, I drilled little holes in the end of the filter tubing, then I shoved a piece of sponge over the end to cover all the holes, then I secured with an elastic band. For about five minutes it looked awesome, it pulled water very nicely, then it slowed down again. ARRG.

The sponge is not very thick around the filter tub tip, and it is "loose" VS "dense". I made sure the sponge was soaked really well so it should be pulling only water, not any big air bubbles.

What the heck is going on? I checked all my electricity outlets and cords and everything and it seems to be getting plenty of juice as far as I can tell. Everything is plugged in nice and tight and secure.

I am confused. Do I have crappy filters? What is going on?

The story:

I have livebearers, and I am trying to set up excellent breeding environments, lots of plants & hiding places for the fry, as well as fry-safe filters, so I don't have to bother the fish very much, and they can be happier, healthier fish. Yes, I realize that leaving the fry with the parents will ask the parents to eat the fry, I have 2x 20 gallon tanks set up for breeding and rearing, as well as a 10 gallon, and I am trying my best to make them all fry-safe to ensure the survival of babies, but if some get eaten then I guess that was nature's choice, and I am ok with that because let's face it, I just cannot at this time afford a house FULL of fish, so I will make do with what I have. (I am looking at an additional 30 gallon for fry-rearing, but trying to figure out where I will put it first, haha.) Anyways, my filters seem to be greatly weakened by the fry-savers I have applied...

I have the following equipment:

20 gallon tank, with Aqua-Tech 20-40 filter, came with the starter kit

20 gallon tank with Aqua-Tech 10-20 filter, bought seperately

10 gallon tank with Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter, bought seperately

- all tanks are NOT filled to the top, about 2 inches of room left

The problem:

First, I took off the little grate thingy on the end of each filter tube, I covered the end with a small piece of panty-hose, and I used an elastic band to secure it on. I soaked the panty-hose really well to ensure the water was getting through without a problem. It worked great for about a day, then the end got all clogged. I rinsed it off and re-applied and put it back in the tank, worked great for about 4 hours and was all clogged again. Rinsed, re-applied. Worked for like 20 minutes, doesn't seem as clogged as before, but no suction, crappy filtration, it's just NOT pulling water. I did this with all 3 tanks.

I scooped the water with a net to try and get anything that was clogging the panty-hose OUT and I don't see anything and I hardly got anything at all.

Today I got frustrated with the panty-hose cleaning routine and I replaced all three with a piece of sponge. First, I drilled little holes in the end of the filter tubing, then I shoved a piece of sponge over the end to cover all the holes, then I secured with an elastic band. For about five minutes it looked awesome, it pulled water very nicely, then it slowed down again. ARRG.

The sponge is not very thick around the filter tub tip, and it is "loose" VS "dense". I made sure the sponge was soaked really well so it should be pulling only water, not any big air bubbles.

What the heck is going on? I checked all my electricity outlets and cords and everything and it seems to be getting plenty of juice as far as I can tell. Everything is plugged in nice and tight and secure.

I am confused. Do I have crappy filters? What is going on?

I had the same problem with the panty hose thing and the Aqua Tech filters.... I got so fed up I went and got an Acua Clear 70 and have had no problems since. I keep the intake as short as possible and I have not had any fry sucked into the intake.... I have 4 batches of fry in a 20 gallon tank and all are doing fine. The fry are now 3 weeks old and all are doing great!! I would look at getting an AC70 from your LFS...I just bought one and it was $39.95...I cant say the name of the store on here but if you PM me I will tell you where I got it from....

I simply put a chunk of large cell foam(not sure of the name of this stuff) over the intake. The fry are not sucked in and the sponge allows for normal water flow. It's great even if it were a prefilter anyway.

I used to use the sponge from the AC filters. I've since switched to black foam that can be purchased at Big Al's or AquaGiant.

Thing i like about that filter is that it is easier to take off the sponge as it is already on teh top of the filter so just you gotta slip it off slip it on without many troubles.

Also with higher flow rates form the powerheads.

You can slip on some foam onto your current intake as well to protect the fry.

Edited by Kayen

I cut an AquaClear sponge into a block the size I wanted; then used scissors to cut a hole "sleeve" 2/3 of the way in.

It slides over the intake tube and does not fall off - does not need elastics.

I have a sponge filter too and use it on occasion but like the extra flow I get from the hang-on-back filters; esp. on a fry tank 10 gallons or more.

Edited by punman

How many plants have you got? They'll be sucking the ammonia/ammonium (and nitrite and nitrate) that the fish produce. With enough plants and low fish load, you may not need a filter at all. Add an air pump for water movement and you're golden.

i use air powered sponge filters on most of my tanks and seldom lose fry. I tried the powerhead on one and all the fry got sucked in to the sponge.