Custom aquarium stands.

Boom

Hey all. I am wanting your opinions on something I am contemplating.

I have noticed there seems to be some demand for custom built aquarium stands around here. Maybe I'm mistaken.

But I have both the tools and know-how to build custom cabinets, furniture, shelving units etc. And have built alot. I also have kept aquariums for several years and have a very solid knowledge of what kind of support the require. I'll be honest, I haven't built an aquarium stand yet, but would like to start.

I would like to know if people would buy custom stands and how much people would be willing to pay. I could build the very simple, to the very elaborate (although there are some things I can't do). I would build them out of wood in my wood shop.

I know this probably isn't the right place to advertise my services, and that's not my intention here. I just want to get a feel for if there is a demand for this or not, and if it would be worth my while. I would need to cover the costs of materials and still cover my time spent on the project. I would also love to do some in wall, and / or custom setup's including but not limited to stacked aquariums and side to side setups. Maybe you've had an idea for a real neat custom stand but have no idea how to build it? I could probably figure it out and build it for you! I love working with wood and making things for other people who will really appreciate it is my goal. Maybe there is someone already doing this?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

BOOM

Let me tell you a tale of a guy who used to do this (and may just still, but not on here)...

He charged a fair price, and did marvellous work... but the time it takes to build something truly majestic is not cheap, and not many people can afford that kind of royal treatment. He got caught by someone who couldn't afford anything but fugly, and the situation got nasty, costing us more than just a damn nice guy for a member.

"Cheap" is DIY, and most people are happy with fugly as long as it doesn't cost them much, and keep the peace with the spouse.

So in short, if you can build a cheap, strong, nice looking stand and not go broke doing it, then I suggest you do up an example, and start showing off (adhering to our rather strict "sponsorship vs. private sales" rules, of course). If you are a cabinet maker who can pull off an aquarium stand, then there are already a ton of them out there, and everyone knows five. At least, I do.

I don't want to completely discourage you, but there have been at least four people on here in the past couple years to offer the same, and the only one that I know for sure that tried it for a living, is not doing it for a living, anymore. Maybe you'll reinvent the wheel, or build a better mousetrap... just don't mind the corpses of the few who have gone before you, and failed.

I think that if you are very up front about the cost and what it will look like when it is done. You might also want to have an example of what a completed one will look like.

I would also recommend having a contract done up by a lawyer if you plan to do lots of these so you and your customer don't get in to a possibly expensive legal argument.

If you are charging for these services (you are still liable even if you don't) I would ensure that your stands are "engineered", and you are "qualified" be means of a trade. The first stand to collapse and cause injury or damage opens up a whole other can of worms.

Thanks for the replys guys. All points taken.

A friend of mine just bought a 150 gallon that I will be building a stand for. I'm not sure how simple or fancy he wants it yet, but I will post some pics when i'm done.

I guess what I'll do is just offer and build for people who request it. Word of mouth is prety powerful. I guess I should have some type of "liability waiver" but I could build a stand far stronger than 95% of the P.O.S's sold in stores today and it would never fail.

I would be very up front about the cost, once the customer decides what they want. Because the idea is "custom stands" posting a price list would be impossible. Price would be dependant on types and quality of materials requested, finish, and how much of a rush your in to get it. The customer would sign a "work order" once they decide what they want and we'd stick to that with the agreement that it can change if you don't like it, but so may the price.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about fugly DIY stands that joe homeowner with a hammer and a saw would throw together. I'm talking about high quality custom work. Hopefully the people that appreciate quality work, and want it in their homes, realize that they have to pay for it. I'm certinly not saying I'll offer stands for cheap, but my price will be considerably less than what it would cost to hire a "proffesional" to build a custom stand. This won't be my main source of income, so I don't have to charge an arm and a leg. I also don't charge by the hour. I charge per project.

Maybe this will fly, maybe not. But if you know anybody who wants to try me out, pass my name to them.

Thnx

Boom

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about fugly DIY stands that joe homeowner with a hammer and a saw would throw together.

Carefull what you say there buddy i'm joe homeowner with a DIY stand which i like very much for $200 bucks. And its a table saw and air nailer sheeesh. LOL

I know, I know..........my stand is fugly. :cry: But I am only a joe homeowner. Lol.

But then again, if you can find a market for them, fill your boots. And I have to agree that the "store bought"

stands appear to be weak as anything. All the best.

Leon

I would agree that as a retailer I do not care much for the stands that most suppliers offer. The only positive is that they are engineered and therefore guaranteed to hold the weight of the tank and contents and limiting my liability.

Sorry guys. I should have worded that more carefully. I didn't mean to imply that all DIY stands are fugly, or that joe homeowner can't build a good one. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.

Corvette, at $200, your stnd probably cost more than most DIY projects. And if you have a tablesaw, your already ahead of most average homeowners.

Leon, your stand looks great! What'd it cost you out of curiosity?

I understand what you were saying my first stand was cinder blocks and ply wood I'm just jealous you live in Edmonton and not here. I could use your expertise in some projects i want to build. You could look into having people sign off on liabilities. If anything is the right price people will use it. You don't want to know how many people I've seen using Ikea furniture for tank stands, cardboard and water don't mix. I'll send you a pic somtime of a stand i built for a 90 gallon on top and 2 10gallons sunk in to the front doors. Big thing for me i'm a welder by trade and just have to cover metal stands...

Chris said it all. The stands are engineered. But if it is going in my house, it is "over-engineered". Just one of many so called faults.

My stand has a few extras that most will not have. The center drawer is a pull-out with a 10 outlet switch box. The doors are all hung with removable cupboard hinges (blum). And it can be turned sideways to divide a room as it is almost identical on the other (rear) side. That being said, I have about $750 invested in the stand and canopy. That does not include the electrical switches, timers, tank, heaters, or lights.

I figured you had some money invested in that stand Leon, and I knew there were people out there that appreciate the price of quality. Looks like you got a real nice red empress there as well(?)

Out of curiousity, what do you guys define as"engineered"? Without starting an arguement on the topic, I don't think that mass produced necessarily equals engineered. I think alot of commercial available stands are designed with as cheap of materials and quality as possible, to generate as much profit as possible. Throw in the fact that people are often expected to assemble them theirselves, and it actually surprises me that we don't here more horror stories of stands failing.

"Engineered" refers to manufacturer having an engineer draw up the plans and specifying the exact materials to be used based on their strength and properties. Sure, most of us know that a stand made of 'this' kind of wood or 'that' kind of wood will hold up this or that, but an engineer signed off on something you buy from the big box stores, and it's his @$$ in a sling if something goes haywire... not your's. Non-liability statements assume you know what you're talking about in regards to 'knowing' the load strength of the materials you use, and that the customer is trusting you to have done that research. That's one of the biggest problems we've seen in regards to DIY vs. store bought; either over-engineered, or more properly "guess-timated on the side of excess and supposed safety".

Again, don't want to discourage, but there can be some very serious consequences if there happens to be something hitting a fan long the road, here... and I never like to think "I probably should have said something" later on.