New to fish need your help please

I have a friend that has never kept fish before. They have a young daughter that has taken a liking to them. They are thinking of getting a tank and keeping some fish. They live in a apt. so space and moveability are an issue. I am thinking something 35G or less for a tank. They are starting completly from scratch so cost will also be as factor. My question for all of you is what would you recomend. I only have experience with africans so I can only help a little. Not great with scientific names but can search. Please post up any suggestions, pics or even equiptment or fish you may have avalible. I hope that this is in the appropreate section and I am not asking for too much. Thanks in advance!!!

I have a friend that has never kept fish before. They have a young daughter that has taken a liking to them. They are thinking of getting a tank and keeping some fish. They live in a apt. so space and moveability are an issue. I am thinking something 35G or less for a tank. They are starting completly from scratch so cost will also be as factor. My question for all of you is what would you recomend. I only have experience with africans so I can only help a little. Not great with scientific names but can search. Please post up any suggestions, pics or even equiptment or fish you may have avalible. I hope that this is in the appropreate section and I am not asking for too much. Thanks in advance!!!

There are some good deals on tank set ups posted. For price, you are not going to beat getting a used setup off of someone getting out or moving up... I would keep my eyes on the equipment section or on kijiji for good deals.

If you do decide to go new... I set up my 72 Gallon tank after many years of storage and saved a bundle by buying what I could from hardware stores... sand instead of the gravel at a pet store, fluorescent lights, tubes and all the tubing I needed for my filters and for cleaning, buckets etc... You don't have to buy it all from a pet store and some things you will find for less at Home Depot or Rona. If you are in doubt about the aquarium safety of something, you can post here to see if someone else has used it or has a suggestion.

If you want good advice from a store, I would tend to go to Natures Corner or Aquarium Enthusiasts here in Edmonton before a big box store. They will have good advice for you and are probably better at suggesting some starter fish for you.

Hope that helps.

Roger

Check into this

http://www.usededmonton.com/classified-ad/5660319

And I would strongly suggest a community tank with tetras and the like to start out with for a little girl.

Check into this

http://www.usededmonton.com/classified-ad/5660319

And I would strongly suggest a community tank with tetras and the like to start out with for a little girl.

ditto africans are not a good choise for a some one who is just getting fish for the first time. Africans are very nice but they are agressive and costly .tetras would be nice for you also some guppys and mollies.

You know , I have some kribensis I could give you. I'd suggest a pair of these because of their behaviors. They colour up so nice when they are breeding. They are good parents in that both fish will care for the eggs and the brood of fry. http://groups.msn.com/breedingtropicalfish/kribs.msnw

Having a pretty fish to watch becomes wonderfully exciting when you now have babies!!!!! You could comfortably house a breeding pair in a 25 to 33 gal. tank. A couple bristlenose plecos could potentially provide entertainment too.

"apartment"... 35 gallon tank could weigh in at 500 pounds quite easily once you're done filling it... if it's a 'walk up' it's probably wooden construction unless they are on a concrete bottom floor... things to be cautious of, is all. Most property managers would crap a carp if they saw someone lugging a three foot tank up a flight of stairs with the intention of filling it with water. Bear in mind 99% of renter's insurance only covers tanks up to 10-20 gallons, too. And 'flood' or 'water' additions to the policy will cover sewer or sump back ups, or a busted roof... not a kid's toy shattering the front pane of an aquarium or the bottom falling out of a poorly supported or older tank.

Maybe just a 10 gallon with a handful of cardinal tetras?

The above advice is great :thumbs: So here is something else i've been dealing with with my new tank experience. Basicly from what i understand the fastest and easiest way to set up a tank is the tankless cycle. I personally didn't do that so i'm stuck with the regular one. I also understand that goldfish are some of the easiest and hardiest fish so there is another option. DON"T GET a KOI. I did and i was told at the time that he would be happy for a few months in my little five gallon tank. Other goldfish would be great. For cost wise i think a goldfish would be a good idea because they don't need the electric heater that for a small tank equal a 100watt lightbulb(ouch)

The last bit of advice i have is if you have a disease free tank put some of your gravel in a netted bag for them when they start their tank to give the nitrogen cycle a big boost. after a few weeks you can take the gravel back. A ten gallon is a great starter tank.

I hope i helped a bit. since i'm new at keeping fish i'm learning everything right now so i remember what i've learned so far. The nitrogen cycle and the bacteria establishment is the most confuseing part of the whole process. One thing that everyone failed to mention when i was buying supplies for my fish was that i should buy a ammonia and nitrite test kit.

Have fun

L

Edited by Ishkabod

Great advise all thanks much! The tank will be cared for by mom and dad at least for a while. There daughter is about 6 months old now, she just seems to love fish any time they see them anywhere. Qattera thanks for the offfer just might work once we find a tank and stuff. What would you suggest to do with the fry? I mean how long will they stay with the parents raising them? I really appreciate all the help and offers. This site ROCKS!!!

The fry will be fine with the parents until they decide to spawn again then they will be chased away or eaten. The larger,faster and smarter ones will most likely survive if provided with enough hiding places.