:(

_sheebz

So my tank got a bacterial infection and killed off everything except 1 fish....a red texas...

everything else is gone :cry:

Lost: 14in male Midas(5 1/2 years old), 9 inch female White Midas, Red Terror X Texas male and female, 8 inch male Zonatum, 4 inch Female Dovii, 3 inch male Red Tiger Motaguense, 1 inch Umbriferum, 20 inch Black Spotted eel

Horrible.jpg

My midas was my biggest, oldest prized fish

jesus-1.jpg

I bleached ALL ornaments and filters, boiled my gravel, all new filter media, filled the tank with boiling water and ran nox ich through the tank to kill anything left over.

ive now got my only fish that lived, a 2 inch red texas cichlid, in the tank with 9 baby dovii's.

everything seems to be running smoothly so far.

in the next couple of weeks im stocking the tank with an umbee, argentea, red tiger motag, and haitiensis with the red texas and i will end up keeping 1 dovii.

Edited by Flame.Boy

Did you and Quinn shop at the same place, or trade some fish? He just lost everything recently as well.

Just wondering but what makes you think it was a bacterial infection? I'd think that kind of thing would get worse with time and not just happen overnight.

And wouldn't it leave physical signs? Slimy skin, etc?

Are you sure your cycle didn't crash? DId you test the water?

Did you and Quinn shop at the same place, or trade some fish? He just lost everything recently as well.

the weird thing is NIck, is we havent traded fish in the longest time, the only thing that has been traded went into my tank.

a couple of 17 yr old silver dollars actually, Nothing went into my Dovii tank within the past three months besides new water.

the same thing happened to me as happened to shelby.

Just wondering but what makes you think it was a bacterial infection? I'd think that kind of thing would get worse with time and not just happen overnight.

I actually did a bunch of research Kyle, and ended up finding out it was a bacteria assosiated with the hepatitis family, also closed related to shingles and such. If i find the website ill post it. It made both Shelby and i sick the night we were trying to save the fish.

all the fish had no slime coat left Val.

Everything that happened happened in less than 24 hours. Shelby is a damn picky kid when it comes to water quality and the highest thing in the test

was nitrate at 2ppm. It was like WHAM when it hit and we couldnt do anything about it.

if anyone knows about stuff like this, let me know.

Quinn

Edited by pimpdocta

Wow, that's horrible for both of you. I'm so sorry. They were such beautiful fish. May your survivors and your new ones thrive and live to a ripe old age.

So sorry for your loss, your midas was beautiful! When you found out the type of bacteria, was there any medication or solution listed for it? You obviously did everything you could, even sacrificing your own health!

All the best with your new additions.

So sorry for your loss, your midas was beautiful! When you found out the type of bacteria, was there any medication or solution listed for it? You obviously did everything you could, even sacrificing your own health!

All the best with your new additions.

it was a protazoan often assosiated with diarhhea and hepatitis believe it or not.

the only thing that would work is metronidazole and it often is uncurable in fish

Haitiensis won't last long in a crowded tank like that. I'd skip the umbee idea and keep Argentea and motaguense, otherwise history is destined to repeat itself

yea i decided against the hatiensis, quinn is getting a couple for his 130 so im gonna see how his work out and when i get another 130 ill think about getting a couple hatians.

(African_Fever @ May 12 2008, 09:00 AM)

the slime coat was actually completely gone. the only fish that still had a slime coat was my eel and rex texas, all the others were completely dry.

the tank has been running since december, and i used all the water from my 77 gallon and added new water to the rest, so it wasnt the cycle crashing. my water has been perfect, ive never had a problem with losing fish like this with my freshwater tanks. everything was fine one night, then all of a sudden they had clampy fins and were at the top of the tank gasping for air.. i took the day off skool and went to buy medicine..by the time i got home the worst had already happened.

my tank is doing good now, everything is eating very aggressively, breathing fine, no clampy fins...water is still kinda cloudy but thats because its basically a new tank.

in a couple weeks after everything is done running and ive got a good bacteria colony(quinn is going to give me some of his foam from his filters to help boost mine, and im also dumping stability in my tank everyday.) I will then order my argentea, umbee and motag and that is what my tank will consist of.

once they start to grow i will set up another 130 gallon.

Wow... I'm so sorry to hear this. Kinda makes my fish loss a bit easier to take... I couldn't imagine loosing what you lost.

RIP to them all!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your losses. My question is, how do viruses like hepatitis get passed onto fish? I know that fish TB can be passed onto humans, but didn't know that human diseases can affect fish like that. I wonder if one of the fish you had gotten in the past was carrying it, or maybe it was in the water and had transferred over to the fish. I know what it is like to lose almost every fish in a tank, and I hope all goes well with you in the future. Beautiful fish were lost.

Nick , didn't you mention you had an issue after a water change. Perhaps (being spring runoff) something was in the water that day/week. The water treatment folks regularly test for pathogens such as ecoli but what if it was something else? Losing one fish is rough, a whole tank load of pets is terrible.

Yes I did some water changes a few days before the show/auction, and those tanks all had problems with unexplained sickness and death.