Hellooo

nicole

Hi guys..

Definatly not so new at the site but anyways.. Wanted to run something by you guys and see what you think about it or if any of you have any advice on the matter or anything please, I'd be interested to know. Anyways, the to get to the matter at hand... I'm sorta in the business of breeding crayfish and lobsters. Now, what I would like to do is eventually be able to export these little guys and send them all over the place. However, I've run into the problem even on this site of nobody seems to be alll that interested in these little guys. Can anybody tell me why this is? Is it because people are thinking lobster... bottom feeding creature... probably going to eat my fish.. ? I don't really know, but would definatly like to! I've bred some really really neat species. My latest batch was an electric blue / snow white hybrid cross. Also I have some blue/red hyrbids. These guys are awesome! But instead of seeing my fahaka puffer and mantis shrimp eat them all up, I'd rather see them go to good homes. Drop me a message if you have any advice or anything to say on that matter.. Thanks you guys. This website and everyone apart of it rocks! Have a great day!

-Cole

Hi guys..

Definatly not so new at the site but anyways.. Wanted to run something by you guys and see what you think about it or if any of you have any advice on the matter or anything please, I'd be interested to know. Anyways, the to get to the matter at hand... I'm sorta in the business of breeding crayfish and lobsters. Now, what I would like to do is eventually be able to export these little guys and send them all over the place. However, I've run into the problem even on this site of nobody seems to be alll that interested in these little guys. Can anybody tell me why this is? Is it because people are thinking lobster... bottom feeding creature... probably going to eat my fish.. ? I don't really know, but would definatly like to! I've bred some really really neat species. My latest batch was an electric blue / snow white hybrid cross. Also I have some blue/red hyrbids. These guys are awesome! But instead of seeing my fahaka puffer and mantis shrimp eat them all up, I'd rather see them go to good homes. Drop me a message if you have any advice or anything to say on that matter.. Thanks you guys. This website and everyone apart of it rocks! Have a great day!

-Cole

:welcome: Congrats in order first of all...

There is alot of interest in crayfish lobsters etc... but it takes time, One you have to market yourself.. I did not know you were a breeder! Two, not everyone is in the market for them so you have find that niche market.

Like in every business time to build a repuation.. you could try to advertise them on Aquabid.com ship only through Canada until you can get an import/export ticket. When you only have one specific item, your also limiting yourself on customers.

I hope this helps! :thumbs:

I think crays are really interesting, but I'll admit that I know little about them (though I am interested in breeding them for stingray food). I see them as either possibly eating the inhabitants of an aquarium (ie. community tank) or being eaten by them (ie. cichlids). I'd think that most people are afraid of them eating the fish in their tanks, and I'd bet that's why there isn't really much interest in them by most people. Plus (and I'm just going by what I've heard) it's not always very easy to keep multiple crays in a tank together, so again that also limits the potential sales.

Oh, we're out there all right. It's just that the availability and variety are poor and the prices far too outrageous for a critter that is best kept solitary.

Inverts are one of my passions but keeping and raising crays can be challenging. They are very sensitive to nitrate and temperature levels.

Myself, I have very little interest in Procambarus alleni or the plethora of blue-colored crays that are out there. I find the species that look more like a marine lobster more appealing. The aussies are attractive but get quite large.

What sort of crays do you have? Do you have any of the dwarf species? This might be of interest to African_Fever, as the dwarves can be kept in a colony and, to my understanding, do not eat plants. Many of the dwarf species breed as well as dwarf shrimp. For myself, I have been looking for a Canadian source of Cambarellus shufeldtii for about a year now.

I agree with BlackMumba about utilizing AquaBid. There just aren't enough Canadian sellers on that board, especially in the invert section.

Do you breed any of the dwarf shrimp. There are very few Canadian breeders of these as well and there is even more interest in them than in the crayfish/lobsters. I know that I am looking for decently priced tiger shrimp, bee shrimp, rainbow shrimp, and even the "new" Sulawesi shrimp, and have been for a while.

Good luck and hope this helps.