Is this a reptile tank or aquarium?

A friend gave me a tank that housed her snake. I want to know if its a reptile tank or if its an aquarium(strong enough to hold water).

The dimensions are 36"long x 12"wide x 19"high and the glass measures 1/4" thick.

Is the glass thick enough to be strong enough to hold water? Or is it a reptile tank?

If it is a reptile tank, would it atelast be strong enough to half fill it with water to make a Palaudarium out of it?

Is it braced accross the center of the top frame? can you post a pic?

Its outside right now so I'll have to check to make sure but I dont' think it has any center bracing. I'll try to get a pic if I can find my camera.

I'm more concerned about the glass thickness, as I know reptile tanks can be made of thinner glass then aquariums as they aren't meant to hold water.

OK got some crappy pics

Here is a nice blurry pic of the glass thickness. Its about 1/4" thick

babies006.jpg

Here is the tank

babies002.jpg

And here is a pic showing the top with no bracing

babies003.jpg

The silicone needs to be redone. The original silicone was black but someone smeared clear stuff all over the bottom half in a really half assed fashion(you can see it in the last pic).

So once I resilicone it. Will the tank's glass be strong enough to hold the water?

It looks like a standard 36 gallon to me I don't think there should be issues with it holding water once you reseal it. Also it looks more like 5 or 6 mil glass to me. you'll find that older tape measures get loose on the end and will give you a false measurement. If you measure from the 1" mark you will find a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
you'll find that older tape measures get loose on the end and will give you a false measurement. If you measure from the 1" mark you will find a difference.

Actually, that metal tab is supposed to be loose. It makes up the difference between hooking the end of the taop on something and pulling the tape, & pushing the end of the tape against something. It compensates for the thickness of the metal tab.