Mystery Fry

gotgill

Ok it's me with the danio fry again hehe, so my other fry were growing at an alarming rate so i moved the biggest ones out of the shrimp tank into a 10 gallon grow out tank with my other "danio" fry. They look nothing alike. Now remember these are my first fry I assumed my lil fry just need more time to grow before he got his stripes, and I'll admit he was awefully small I never got out the magnifying glass to look closely at his fins. Now that I see the fry side by side it is very obvious the differences. I'm going to try to get a pic up, but I am having trouble trying to get him to sit still and he is still only about 2cm after two months but he is on nls fry food now. However I will describe him the best I can and see if anybody maybe has an eureka moment. His eyes are larger then the danio fry, he has both a dorsal and an adipose fin but the former is VERY small and his anal fin is very long running almost the entire length of his body. He doesn't have much color, his back is still almost see through and he prefers the top part of the tank and has generally the same body shape as the danio. The danio fry like to pick on him so I would like to find out what he is so i can make sure he has the right tank parameters mind you he has made it this far. Anyway I don't really expect anybody to know for sure, my description being what it is but if somebody has had a tankful of fry that look like this, let me know. At this point your guess is better then mine, but if I was to hazard a guess I'd say some sort of rainbow fish.

WOW, that was really long winded, well thanks again folks!

Oh and if I can't figure out this mystery, how long does it usually take for a fish to reach adulthood? I'm sure what it is will be obvious even for me then.

Listing the fish you keep would help narrow the field.

Did you move anything to the tank from another tank that could have held the fry?

I had a similar experience last year. I found 3 fry in my shrimp tank that didn't contain any fish. After thinking and thinking I realized I had moved a small amount of java moss into the tank from another tank and it turned out they were Celebese rainbow fry.

Um that's the mystery I only Have danios! Well and shrimp and one common pleco. I assume whatever it is came in as an egg off a plant but the store in question says there were never any fish in the tank and I do rinse and inspect all my plants before putting them in any tank regardless of where they come from (just say no to yucky snails).

Thanks again!

Edited by gotgill

• 2 months later...

It sounds like it might be a threadfin rainbow... they're tiny for a long time!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think I have it figured out, think being the key word. He is certainly a rainbow, I am thinking splendid. His fins have very dark edges and almost tiger like stripes while the rest of the body remains fairly pale. He now dwarfs my largest danios and they don't even think about bugging him. I have totally redone the 10 gallon tank, I am delving seriously into the whole planted tank idea getting ready for that 55 gallon. If hes a rainbow he is going to need some room to grow and some friends and the danios wont stop breeding so room in the 10 gallon is becoming an issue. Speaking of the danios some of the fry have kinked spines could this be because they are inbreeding? It seems to only happen with certain batches. Is there anything I could do so it doesn't happen again or to help them? Mindyou they all act normally it just looks like i put a few of them through the dishwasher!

Thanks everybody!

So you'll obviously need another tank for the rainbow and danio grow-outs! :)

The deformed fry should be culled. It might not be a bad idea to add some new adult for new genetics which may cut down on deformities... but, it might not. Deformities seem to be a part of breeding such line-bred fish as danios.

*sigh* I was afraid of that I am not sure I can cull the fish. If they were suffering I could do it but they seem happy as danios go but I might be able to find somebody to do the deed for me. They just go in a container in the freezer right? Keep in mind you are talking to somebody who as a kid buried all the goldfish in the garden with elaborate ceremony. I do know that I have very little interest in more danios they were a starter fish to put in nicely and I would like the 10 gallon tank for shellies, that being said i don't want to be adding anymore of these spastic fish, but will keep the healthy adults until the end I have had them for 3 years and got them as full grown adults, how long can they possible go for hehe.

Thanks!

" Speaking of the danios some of the fry have kinked spines could this be because they are inbreeding? It seems to only happen with certain batches. Is there anything I could do so it doesn't happen again or to help them? Mindyou they all act normally it just looks like i put a few of them through the dishwasher! "

I have had Rosy Barb fry that developed crooked backs. They were normal until ~5 - 7 months old. They had been checked for deformities twice before - when they were moved from my pond to a fry tank, and again when moved from the fry tank to my 300 gallon. They were the only ones that developed the problem, so ruled out shock, disease and water conditions. The only thing I could come up with was diet. The food they were eating was Nutrafin Staple flakes. I feed lots of variety but that was what they could eat. I switched to a different food with higher Vitamin C and very soon I had no new cases of crooked backs. The crooked backs are irreversible but doesn't seem to slow them down any.