snail surprize

Again I seek the vast knowledge of AA members. I recently purchased a plant at a LFS only to discover snails. To late it's in the tank and they are everywhere. How do you get rid of them. Are there fish that will eat them? Any help would be welcome. The tank they are in has Angelfish , Gourami, and Bolivian Rams.

If you squish the snails against the glass, your fish will eat them. Otherwise, you can get a small botia (loach) to take care of your snails.

You can kill them off with copper. There is a solution called "had a snail" you can buy, or you can use any fish medication based on copper (aquarisol).

Unfortunately if you have shrimp in your tank or would want to have them or the larger non-pest snails, the copper in the tank would kill them as well.

Loaches enjoy eating snails. Particuarly yo-yo loaches and I think clown loaches as well. These need to be kept in groups. Puffers can also be used to kill snails (like the "pea puffers"), but may not be a compatible solution as they will nip at the angel. Kuhli loaches may also work but I am not entirely certain. These are very cute loaches and not mean.

Not to hijack your thread, but I have the same problem in my shrimp tank. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to suggest how to eradicate them in that situation? :)

Edited by sharuq1

*cough* clown loaches...

stay away from the botias though. I found them to be mean and nasty Jvsion

Could have sworn that I asked you if they were cone shaped or reg snails

Or use the product "snail away" (I think it is called)

Edited by Earthgirl

Zebra loaches(botia striata) are a great small(3-4") peaceful snail eater.

Awsome little critters. I have 3 in a 72gal planted and the only snails I see is a few MTS at about 1" long and they still try for those. Also have an assortment of small fish in the tank that are not bothered by them.

If they are still relatively small I squish them against the glass both fish and shrimp go nuts over this tasty treat.

"Not to hijack your thread, but I have the same problem in my shrimp tank. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to suggest how to eradicate them in that situation?"

The shrimp even go so far as to start picking at and snails that have fallen to the bottom that have their bodies exposed.

Good luck with the snails!

Not to hijack your thread, but I have the same problem in my shrimp tank. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to suggest how to eradicate them in that situation?

I have a snail problem in my shrimp tank and I do the "squish" method. Every time I see a snail I squish it. Then when I do a water change I try and remove as many as I can see. Its kept the snails population down to resonable level. PLus the squished snails are a favortie snack of the shrimp :)

I have found with the squish method, I have scratched my tank with some of the bigger ones with thicker shells... so use caution with that. I had the same problem in my 72G planted tank and purchased a striped botia. No snails and no issues with it bothering other fish.

Zebra loaches(botia striata) are a great small(3-4") peaceful snail eater.

Thanks to all who responded. My Neice was over tonite and she tried the squish method, she had fun but became bored easily. I have put 4 Zebra loachs in the tank and they are slowly cleaning up the snails. Thanks again for all your wisdom. Shane

You can kill them off with copper. There is a solution called "had a snail" you can buy, or you can use any fish medication based on copper (aquarisol).

Unfortunately if you have shrimp in your tank or would want to have them or the larger non-pest snails, the copper in the tank would kill them as well.

Or use the product "snail away" (I think it is called)

F.Y.I.: products like "Had-A-Snail" or "Snail-Away" are PERMANENT solutions. Your tank will be forever ruined for ALL copper-sensitive creatures (including snails, shrimp, crayfish/lobsters, amphibians and others). These solutions infuse themselves into the aquarium sealant and continue to poison the tank afterwards. In my opinion, NOT a good idea - better to use a natural solution like others have suggested in this thread.

Happy to see that you chose the loaches. You will enjoy having them. :thumbs:

Edited by FrogFan23