Need some help! Abandoned Koi!

I need some quick advice. Here is the situation. A person we know has gone bankrupt and has abandoned his property, on this property is a 10,000 Gallon Koi pond. He has asked us to deal with what fish remain (most have died off apparently) The pond is HUGE! Deepest point is 4 feet, about 24 feet long. How do we get the fish out?? They stay at the bottom and have plenty of hiding spots. No way to pump out some water. Riverfront kindly lent us a Koi net but we are unable to corral them as the pond is 12 feet wide.

These guys are in dire need of being moved. The pond was stocked last summer with 16 Koi, there are roughly 6 left. They were hand picked and shipped in from Japan (cost the fellow over 27,000 bucks) at 3-5" long Can only catch glimpes of them. Have tried to bribe them with food but they are so scared they refused it. Any ideas guys??

Tammy

Maybe you could use bird netting or fish net (sold at Canadian Tire as netting for climbing plants like peas) to corral them into one area. Or use it to drag from one end to the other so you can use a normal net to scoop them.

My friend in Quebec has to drain hers to get the fish out too. I'd suggest bringing a small pool (kiddie) or a couple of large tubs with fresh treated water to transfer them into as you catch them. Sounds like the pond water might not be suitable and it'll get really dirty once you start stirring things up .Once 80% of the water is out you'll still need at least 2 ppl to help catch as they'll still be hidy holes. Good luck.

I'm not sure where you could get a big enough net but i think you could use the netting people use to keep birds off of seeded grass. I'm a very patient and very fast fish netter. I used to catch little minnows at my cabin. I'm sure I could net them easily. The trick is that you need to try and not treat it like a fish tank where you can eventually catch it against the side. they will still be too fast for that to work. Drain it till there is about a foot and a half of water. remove debris and any obstacles possible have someone scare them out from one hidey hole and net one at a time. The trick is to have the net out of the water and as they swim quickly net it by plunging the net into the water in front of them and pulling it up. I would love to help you catch them. It sounds like allot of fun to me. Have fun.

Lisa

Also butterfly nets that you can sometimes buy at the dollar store work wonderfully.

Edited by Ishkabod