Overwhelmed

Shai

Hi everyone. I haven't posted much recently because life has been pretty busy with lots of good and not great (though not horrible) changes. Unfortunately, as a result of all that, my interest in the hobby is suffering and I feel like I'm at an impasse--either I need to downsize or I need to get out. I'd really hate to have to get out though...

I currently have a 55g with some stock on it. I also have a 33g but it's empty. Lately I have felt the 55g is too big and demanding on my time, and overall it has been a lot of trouble (it just seems to be a bad luck tank for me), so I'm coming to resent that aquarium. This is not a healthy mindset with respect to the fish so I am wondering if I can get away with transferring the stock to the 33g. The 33g is not a lot smaller, but maybe it is small enough to relieve some of the pressure I am feeling.

The 55g is stocked with:

5x turquoise rainbows

3x cherry barbs

2x dwarf neon rainbows

1x GBR

1x pepper cory

1x pitbull pleco

The 33g measures 36"L x 12"D x 18"H.

I know I should have more cories but I haven't been able to find any decent peppers on the few occasions I've been able to go looking for them. The one I do have is a survivor (part of the aforementioned trouble). He's been alone for a long while now but appears happy and healthy enough.

The 55g is well planted with a sand bottom and the idea would be to simply clone it onto the 33g, with a percentage of plants and hidey-holes to fit but not overstuff the 33g. This would include two AC 70s, so the 33g would be really well-filtered.

The other consideration I have to keep in mind is that in about two years or so I will be moving to New Zealand, so at that time I will have to get rid of everything and will want to sell what I can to help fund the move (every little bit helps). I'm just reluctant to get out right now when I could have two more years to enjoy my tank and see about making it work. I've put a lot of effort into the tank and it would be really crappy to chuck it all at this point "just because" rather than later when I have a really good reason. When I get down to New Zealand and get settled I like to think I'd get back into fishkeeping again.

But for right now...can I use my 33g instead?

Edited by Shai

If your Turquoise rainbows aren't too big, yet (3" or less), then I'd just move everything to your 33. If they're over 3", then maybe sell them or trade for a few more dwarf rainbows.

Thanks jvision. I'll double-check their size but I think it'll work out.

Looks like I have a project for the "long" weekend.

• 1 month later...

So in the end I never actually did this. Life went ahead and interfered so I left my 55g the way it was.

In retrospect I'm glad I didn't tear down the tank. For starters, more careful measuring of my rainbows leads me to believe they wouldn't have been happy in the 33g after all. But moreso, I recently realized the problem with the tank being overwhelming was not really the tank at all, but my job. My job has forced me to give up a lot of fun things this year and the aquarium would have been another casualty. So I decided, the hell with that, it's not fair to me to give up anything else.

My life is changing again now, and circumstances in my working life are changing, so I'm going to continue with this theme in the hobby. Patrick has been posting such wonderful photos lately that I've decided to change the tank and start fresh--and try cichlids!

Anybody wanna buy some rainbows? :D

Anybody wanna buy some rainbows?

How big are your Rainbows? I may be able to take a pair off your hands for my Mom's tank.

Send me a PM when you get a chance and we can discuss.

So in the end I never actually did this. Life went ahead and interfered so I left my 55g the way it was.

In retrospect I'm glad I didn't tear down the tank. For starters, more careful measuring of my rainbows leads me to believe they wouldn't have been happy in the 33g after all. But moreso, I recently realized the problem with the tank being overwhelming was not really the tank at all, but my job. My job has forced me to give up a lot of fun things this year and the aquarium would have been another casualty. So I decided, the hell with that, it's not fair to me to give up anything else.

My life is changing again now, and circumstances in my working life are changing, so I'm going to continue with this theme in the hobby. Patrick has been posting such wonderful photos lately that I've decided to change the tank and start fresh--and try cichlids!

Anybody wanna buy some rainbows? :D

I am interested in female turquoise rainbows

J

Edited by geleen

Shai, I'm glad you got things sorted out and were able to keep your tanks. I hope everything goes well for you with your change of species. :)

:D In the interests of not getting into trouble let's not have any more posts about who wants to buy or trade for my fish. I was mostly speaking tongue-in-cheek. Shortly (maybe in a day or two, or earlier if I can) I'll put a proper post up in the Buy and Sell forum with all the details about what I have and what I'm looking to get so that it is fair for everyone. Thanks for the interest though!!

I'm looking forward to trying cichlids though. I'm doing a bit of research now on what I might want to keep. So many choices with cichlids!! Even if they are more of a challenge due to the aggression I think the challenge itself will be good for me. In certain respects the fish I've been keeping have maybe been too easy. ^^;

Edited by Shai

What type of cichlids were you looking at getting? A 55 would be a good tank for some african cichlids like mbuna, or other types of cichlids. I have about 26 mbuna in a 75 gallon, and I could still probably get at least another 10 for my tank. You could easily get away with 2 groups of mbuna that are a ratio of about 2-3M/8-10F. If you figure out the types of cichlids you want, you can always ask us in the cichlid section for stocking options, there are many people who are of great help.

I am looking at African cichlids. The nice people over at cichlid-forum.com have been giving me some input and helping me narrow down my choices but I will certainly put up a post in the cichlid section here--more feedback and advice is always useful.