Too Hot !!!

Yup ty. Heaters came out of the tanks last month.

Doing water changes is helping too. I've also cleaned out some filters as their motors heat up as they get clogged and so heat up the return water. Lids are up to increase evaporation and lights are off. Trying to reverse all the things we do to keep the tanks warm the other 8 months of the year lol. I've also added the airstones as warm water doesn't have as much O2. The added agitation helps.

Big red is perking up , was a close one, she was dropping to the bottom , too weak to stay upright. The big pleco (which normally is no challenger) was trying to profit on her situation. No pellets for him tonight lol . j/k

Well , the rest of the tank mates are doing well, unfortunately Big Red gave up to the heat. Why is it they always look better and seem to be almost completely better before they die? My daughter and her friend want to do a funeral , not my thing. I suppose once they're that big and full of personality you feel strongly towards them. She certainly was a true pet. I'll miss her.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Hopefully there wont' be anymore losses.

I just lost about 700 dollars of salt water fish and corals when the temperature in my salt system hit over 92 F.

I live on the third floor and I do have fans, AC, and floating bags of ice.

I tore down the system and will not do salt again until I move.

I used frozen tank water and let it melt in the tank about 200ml of frozen water cooled my 30gal down three degrees. From everything i've read it's okay to lower or raise the tank temp a few degrees at a time so as long as you figure out how much water you need to freeze to get the temp down a bit. Air also brings the temp of the tank to the room temp allot faster than normal. I'd try the ice and monitor the temp you might need lots of you have a big tank i'd suggest ice creme pails half full of ice and then add more tank water to cool it down. It's better than water changes because there is no new water and the water added is colder so you shouldn't have to change as much.

I hope this might help

L

yesterday when I come home from work 22:30 I find my sw tank full of "milk" 33°C and my Sinularia flexibis was completely gone, skimmer was working like crazy i have to cleaned 3 times till now. Fish are doing ok I think. So I went to canadian tire and return with 12000BTU air conditioning, after one hour is nice 26°C here and 27 in fish tank.

The rest are still Ok tonight. I guess due to her size she didn't cope well.

Sorry to hear that others are losing fish too. Just goes to show, you don't need to be a newby to lose fish.

I must be lucky so far, I have 5 small tanks and 2 large tanks that stay between 75 & 81 degrees and all I have is cieling fans.

you are lucky man, i put frozen bottle inside my sump and after 16 minutes was hot some like water in tank :(

Edited by om6acw

wow, I try to heat my tanks to at least 80 degrees, and that heater hasn't stoped turning on regularly. But just some fyi some of my tanks havn't required a heater due to being placed above or beside a hot wall(heated water moving through). So you might want to check the temperature of the closest wall(or floor). I watched a guy loose some salt water fish this way while rebuilding his tank.

wow, I try to heat my tanks to at least 80 degrees, and that heater hasn't stoped turning on regularly. But just some fyi some of my tanks havn't required a heater due to being placed above or beside a hot wall(heated water moving through). So you might want to check the temperature of the closest wall(or floor). I watched a guy loose some salt water fish this way while rebuilding his tank.

my problem is not behind the wall, I live in apartment building on third floor under the roof and that's the main problem, in summer we usually have inside the apartment around 40°C and that's killing not just me, right now I have air conditioning running 24/7 to keep 28°C inside, outside is 33°C without this machine I can serve freshly cook fish soup.