Can't decide what to put with my rays...

Hey everyone I am having a really hard time trying to decide what I want to put with my rays...

I can't go with anything very expensive like a asian arowana but of course I would love to!

I have been thinking of the fallowing but not to sure in any:

A group of fronts

Silverdollers

some type of sharks/catfish

any suggestions on the fish I have in mind or if anyone has any other ideas please let me know...

Thanks

Edited by bigfishal

If you're going to go with fronts, go with one. I'd be worried about a group starting to spawn and really picking on the rays.

I've got silver dollars in with some of my rays right now, but aren't yet too sure about the combination. The problem is that the silver dollars will eat anything I put in the for the rays, so it's hard to ensure that the rays get the food they need. If I had the dollars in with larger rays, my worry is that the larger rays would simply eat the silver dollars - kind of a catch 22.

Some catfish would probably be ok with the rays, but you've always got to keep any eye on them, and I probably wouldn't have more than a couple cats with them (I got the tigrinus specifically to go with my rays). I had also tried some 'cigar sharks' with my rays (Leptobarbus hoeveni), but they also ate anything I put in with the rays - I may try them with the rays again now that the rays are able to eat much larger food and the hoeveni could fill their mouths with large floating pellets first. Bala sharks do NOT work if they're even as large as the rays themselves (ie. 5" bala with rays with a 5" disc).

If you want to keep some fish with your rays, try feeders first. If they eat the feeders, there's a good chance they'll try eating anything you put with them at least once (my motoro's tried to eat a 10" Rhamphochromis within seconds of him going in the tank when the rays were only 10-11").

I have a Distichodus Sexfasciatus that I was thinking about trying to put with them but I am not to sure....It is not the ones with the really long noses but the ones with the shorter noses... he is about 4.5inch in length...

Would it be a good idea to put him with them??

:flex: ........INDO-PACIFIC TARPON,,,,,,,,, :flex:

Hey everyone I am having a really hard time trying to decide what I want to put with my rays...

I can't go with anything very expensive like a asian arowana but of course I would love to!

I have been thinking of the fallowing but not to sure in any:

A group of fronts

Silverdollers

some type of sharks/catfish

any suggestions on the fish I have in mind or if anyone has any other ideas please let me know...

Thanks

:flex: ........INDO-PACIFIC TARPON,,,,,,,,, :flex:

I took a look at that fish on google looks like quite the fish....I would never know where to get on though.

They mention that they are slightly brackish water also. Not to sure if that would work to well with rays unless

they would be ok in fresh water all the time??

Where do you get a fish like this anyway?

I was going to put some fronts in my tank, but someone whom I trust who knows something about cichilds (which I know nothing) said that it is a bad combo due to the fact that fronts eat off the bottom and may pick at the rays...

Silver dollars are a good idea and African Fever's idea is great about trying with feeders!

I am going to get ride of my arro I think and try silvers.

I know one of my females LOVES feeders so I have keep that in mind.

I tried once a eurptus catfish and and that did not work! At night it would take chunks out of one of my rays...That one did not last long once I came downstairs at about 3am and saw this.

Sharks are also in that same line as the fronts due to the fact that they are bottom feeders and once they might get big enough, they might pick on the rays.

And no salt with rays...so no brakish

Thanks for the info so far! I was still wondering though if it would be a good idea to put my Distichodus Sexfasciatus??

I would really think this would go well but really don't want to tank the risk if someone knows if this might be a bad idea.