Sump questions

Hi everyone,

This is going to be my second sw tank, and my first with a sump. I have no experience with sumps so I need help.

I'm starting a 55 gallon tank. I need to know what size of holes to drill in my tank, size of sump, what size of piping, pump size.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks, bignose.

I heard 55 gal. tanks were normally made with temered glass. If that is so any drilling will cause the glass to explode. Find out for sure if it tempered or not.

Hi everyone,

This is going to be my second sw tank, and my first with a sump. I have no experience with sumps so I need help.

I'm starting a 55 gallon tank. I need to know what size of holes to drill in my tank, size of sump, what size of piping, pump size.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks, bignose.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

You could always do an over the tank sump so no drilling required. That is what i'm doing with a flower box and a 20$ fountain pump from Home Depo. (120gal/hr) It has another advantage too and that is you DON"T have to worry about overflow or anything like that.

Good luck

L