Lost fry!

sneekerp

Well my Ob Peacocks were at it again and yesterday I stripped my female only to get 129 partially developed fry (WOW). I was super pumped. I took the little guys and transfered them to the tumbler. With so many fry I needed to use two trays. Long story short, this morning I woke up to find my small pleco sucking the fry out of the tumbler from the bottom. Only 4 left in the bottom tray, and unfortunately most were in that tray. The little sucker got about 80 of them during the night. I never thought a pleco would do that. Anyways, lesson learned. I thought I should share this story so someone doesn't run into the same situation.

Keith :unsure:

I have noticed that if the fry still have the egg sacs attached it is like ringing the dinner bell for any and all other fish. They will stoop to the lowest level to get that yolk sac as it is just loaded with goodies. After the fry absorb the egg sac the other fish generally lose a lot of interest but will still opportunistically grab the fry by the tail or head and drag them through the slits if those parts tend to be sticking out. Rule of thumb is to put the fry in tanks where the occupants are just slightly larger than they are.

Well put Harold. Sorry about that, 129 is alot of fry. I have heard of people also using an extra compartment on the bottom and leaving it empty, and the fry will be in one of the top sections. This prevents the fish from being able to just suck them out. I personally wait until the female is past the yolk sac stage and strip them at about 15 days, or put her in a separate tank and leave her until she spits.

Well put Harold. Sorry about that, 129 is alot of fry. I have heard of people also using an extra compartment on the bottom and leaving it empty, and the fry will be in one of the top sections. This prevents the fish from being able to just suck them out. I personally wait until the female is past the yolk sac stage and strip them at about 15 days, or put her in a separate tank and leave her until she spits.

I've now got an extra compartment on the bottom for the remaining fry. I've tried to remove this female and let her spit the fry a couple of times but for some reason she doesn't ever hold longer then about a week.