UPGRADING TO LARGER TANK....ADVICE PLEASE

I think I have finally figured out the basic fish keeping. All fish are alive and doing well, water specs are great, etc. I purchased a 55 gallon aquarium and wish to move my fishies into it. I am currently in a 30 gal (I think). Can anyone tell me what is the best way to transfer from small to big? Do I need to start the cycle all over again? I want to do it right. Pease any advice would be great. Thanks!!!

Kendal

You can move everything over - as long as the filter is moved w/in minutes. You'll probably want to add extra filtration if you're going to add more fish, but right now, your filter is established to the number of fish you currently have.

I would just fill it and go. As long as you use a good dechlorinator like Prime, the extra 20gal will be like a large WC.

Like Jvision said, your filter should be cycled for the number of fish (bioload) that you have right now. You should probably resist the urge to go out and by a whole bunch of new fish for a bit to allow the new gravel, larger filter or whatever to get colonized with bacteria and then begin adding new fish.

Hey I have done this more then enough times, it is exactly like a previous forum, fish are addictive, lol. Well to get to it what I do whether it is a new tank thats smaller or bigger I always add a minimum of 50% of already established water into the tank from another well established healthy tank. for you going from a 30 - 50 I would add all 30 gallons of water from your current tank. As others have said transfer gravel is helpful but is not necessary I have before and I also have not no big difference. If you are using a different filter transfer your ceramic rings DO NOT RINSE UNDER TAP WATER. and if possible at least one sponge. In order for you to get your 30 gallons transfered, put your fish into a relatively large buckets they should be fine...USE A LID THEY OFFET JUMP OUT! plants to if you feel they need hiding places from other fish. If you have the patients you can empty 50% of your 30 gallon into a rubber maid and fill the rest with fresh de-chlorinated water and hook up a filter with established rings and give this a approx. one week. In the mean time fill your 30 gallon back up with fresh de-chlorinated water and after one week transfer both the bucket and tank water into your 50 gallon. Wa-la one week later you have approx.. 60 gallons of established water. Remember cycle (or other beneficial bacteria additives) do not work unless you have ammonia and active bacteria in your water/filter. I followed this procedure while setting up my 112G, after transferring all of my fish into the new tank I did not notice any stress put on my fish, or new tank syndrome spikes. If you are transferring a canister filter do not let it sit inactive for any longer than an hour, reason is the good bacteria die off and turn harmful. I watched this first hand with my friends tank, nearly killed all of her fish. If it a hanging filter and it sits for over an hour i advise you to rise it out for the same reason. If you know this will take a while let your rings sit in established water. I hope this helps

Callie