Who eats Duckweed?

jvision

OK, so I am SICK of this stuff! It takes 3 days for it to go from covering less than 5% of my 135gal tank surface to over 80% - I need something that will eat it all b/c I just can't get it myself.

This is going to be a short-term solution, so I'm thinking of 'borrowing' a helper if I can, but here are my criteria:

relatively peaceful - I don't have any really wimpy fish, but the fish I have are quite important to me.

won't eat other plants - I do want to keep all other plants other than the duckweed.

Thoughts on helpers:

molly - they do prefer a bit of salt in their water, which they'd get none of in my tank

Ameca splendens - can be a bit pushy... not really worried, but don't want them picking on my Farlowella

American Flag fish - I haven't seen these killies around in YEARS!

Anything else?

Also, if you'd like to lend a good duckweed muncher to me, that'd be great. Or, I am totally open to trades or purchasing them outright.

One other solution that I have thought about is choking out the duckweed with something bigger that is easier to remove. I've done that many times in the past using Salvinia; but, I'd prefer to keep the surface uncovered if possilbe.

When I had this problem I used a 10g topfin filter. it sucks all the duckweed inside and after about 3 days you don't have much left. After 2 weeks remove the filter and be duckweed free. fyi I used this filter on a 30g aquarium

I don't think I'll go with the filter idea b/c it'll gas-off too much CO2, and I have had my share of BGA so I'm not too keen on that idea. ;) I don't have the time to put a goldfish/koi in for the 20 min or so it'd take them to polish off the duckweed... there'd be not much left of my lotus after that! I guess I'm leaning toward a mollie.

Now, here's the question: black or sailfin?

Dang-it! I only have a 1/2 bottle lying in the fishroom. Don't think that will cut it for a 135. Val, can I borrow one of your Ps. acei?

Well, when I did my weekly WC teh other day, I took out almost all of the DW, then I upped the CO2 a bit b/c some beard algae was starting to creep up on some of the older Val leaves. I also added a mod to my FX5 that keeps the flow up a bit more; and, the DW hasn't come back as bad as it has. I may still look to borrow a mollie to get rid of the last bit.

Quinn, you can find it just about anywhere, like hybrid says; but, if you're looking for some from a hobbyist, just ask around. Who knows, I may have a whole schwack for you in a week or so... I hope not!

Mission Accomplished! So it seems one good way to get rid of DW is to increase CO2 (just over 3 bubbles/sec) and flow. Not only has it not grown, but there now seems to be no sign of it at all!!! :thumbs: