PRIME

I went and purchased a bottle of Prime......I am wondering if I pour it directly in the tank or in the filter first?

With Prime you can treat the new water with it before you even add it to the tank.

For example my husband always brings me 5gal jugs of water, I had the prime right to this jug, will let it sit a minimum of 20 minutes, but I try to let it set over night to do it's thing. Then when I add the new water, all the chloramines, chlorine etc are nuetralized before mixing the old and new water together...

Lana

When I do a water change, I empty out x amount of water using a dedicated mop bucket. I then replace the water by taking the same bucket and filling it up with tap water add a small amount of Prime then right into the tank. I have been doing this every week or every two weeks (depending on if I am home or not) for four years and never had a problem.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

is Prime the 'better' conditioner than the other stuff?

or is it a matter of choice? I have read that some of the conditioner binds some of the heavier metals and then doesn't allow the plants to absorb them.

Prime is great because it breaks the ammonia-chlorine bond, then binds the ammonia in a form that isn't harmful to fish, but is accessible by plants.

When I change the water in my tanks (smallest tank is a 90 gal), I empty 1/2 my tank, then add enough prime to treat most of the tank volume, then I add new water.

I also do it like Jason. I use a python gravel vac and I add the prime to the tank and refill with the python.

On my really small tanks I use a 5g water bottle to empty and refill. So then I add the prime to the jug before refilling. But I dont' let it stand or anything, just squirt the prime, give the jug a little shake and dump.