What is the difference between a power head and a submersible pump?

Becky

I'm hoping to construct undergravel jets for my 90 gallon and am trying to figure out what I need. Some sites say "submersible pump", others say"use power heads".

Has anyone made UGJ? And what supplies did you specifically use?

Type real slow now, I'm sorta dense when it comes to DIY. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Becky

Hi Becky,

Generally the flow rate determines which term is used. Powerheads typically have a much lower GPH and are not designed to overcome "head height".

Submersible pumps are designed to be placed in sumps and have much higher flow rates to overcome head height (being placed 3-4' below the tank).

As well, where powerheads are often used to direct flow and eliminate dead spots in your tank, pumps are typically plumbed to a return mechanism of some kind (nozzle, spray bar, etc).

For UGJ, you want to achieve about 125-150 gph through each jet. Keep in mind that every 90 degree bend will lower your flow rate. I also would recommend using a "closed loop" which means exactly that....build a loop with jets attached. This will help keep even flow from each of your jets.

Hope this helps! :)

They are not that hard to make. Check www.Cichlid-Forum.com and do a search for UGJ. I use a Maxi-Jet 1200 to run mine, and it has four jets in a closed loop. And the big tank has six jets with two 1200's on it.+

HTH, Leon