My new 210

Drydock

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to keep the splash as low as possible when the water goes into the overflow, then into the sump - you'll lose A LOT of CO2 in that case.

That would be my concern too. Not sure if a CO2 system would even be effective???

I have been concerned about that. There is very little splash into the sump. (mostly to cut down on the noise) The drain pipe exits into a filter sock, and is below the water level. I run the level in the sump just above the baffle height, so there is no cascading there. The only place I am trying to eliminate cascade is into the overflow. I have about 2 inches where the water falls down the glass before it hits the surface and is collected to the sump. I'm playing with the valve on the drain, but it is tricky...

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the silver dollars with annihilate any live plants within days of being in there. Some of the dugouts I've been working around this summer have been chock full of some plants that look similar to vals; I added two thick clumps (as thick as your arm) to a 135 with 30 silver dollars, and there was nothing left the next morning but roots and green faeces everywhere (I put them in to see just how voracious the red hooks were with plants). I think silver dollars would look so great swimming in and amongst jungle vals, but unfortunately that's not a possibility, at least not with red hooks.

Great looking setup BTW!

wow nice stand and tank what did you buy the tank for? and what type of fish are in there?

I bought the tank to put fish in it... ;)

A very nice gentleman gave me a very good deal on it.

I just added some German Blue Rams and some Red Laser Corys that I got from Spencer Jack.

Other fish include:

Congo Tetras

Emperor Tetras

Turquoise Rainbows

Lemon Tetras

Rasboras

I am looking for a 'centerpiece fish' right now. I'm not a huge fan of Angels and I'm not willing to do the work for Discus, so I'm still looking.

Edited by Drydock

It's hard to pick a good centerpiece fish b/c we usually think of some kind of cichlid, and most large cichlids will either rip plants up (sevrum, oscar, etc) or dig up the plants (most other central/africans). I am liking my Thorichthys sp. "Blue Mextica" - a type of Firemouth cichlid. The female did dig a bit when they spawned, but didn't dig up enough to uproot plants. There are a lot of great looking Thorychthys species - might be worth looking at.

It ate the 72 and now sits in its place :D

Jason doesn't lie...

Flip, when you come by and get your pleco (Ahem.. ) :) I'll give you the tour.

Edited by Drydock

Are you still looking for more clips for your timer? I have a timer just like yours that I am not using and you can have. The only problem is that I am in Calgary. If you are still interested the next time you come to Calgary you can send me a pm to arrange pickup.

- Kevin

Great job there, looking really good :D I also had bad experiences mixing silver dollars with plants. I had many plants gone shortly after I got them, severum's are just about the same story. I think Thorichthys species are a very nice center piece, I would say stay away from the meeki, every one I have gotten have been too rough on community fish, a little too aggressive. I didn't know spencer had blue rams right now :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some photos of the sump setup I am running right now. So far, it seems to be working well.

Here is a shot of it empty so that you can get a good look at the baffles.

DSC02777.jpg

Here is what it looks like running.

Left Side (return side)

DSC02806.jpg

I am using a 100 micron filter sock off the return loop to add some mechanical filtration. I had originally had it on the drain into the sump, but it clogged too quickly and I was changing it every day. Now, I am changing it out and washing it every other day.

to wash it, I rinse it inside out to get off as much as I can, then wait until my wife is out to sneak it in the washing machine - no soap, just bleach...

Right side (drain side)

DSC02807.jpg

In the middle section, I have plastic pot scrubbies and some bio balls I found for free. Too bad they all float! I weighed them down with some egg crate and I also added a piece of plexi on top of that, about an inch off the bottom to force most of the water to flow through the media and not just across the top. It gives me a great place to attach my heaters as well. They have their own space and I don't have to worry about melting plastic or anything.

DSC02808.jpg

I did try and grow some java moss in there, but gave up on that idea.

I have the cabinet doors done finally, but I lost the photo. I'll get a new one up later on.

Here is a shot of a couple of the rams. They are cool. Very personable and I have 6, so there are a couple of pairs, but lots of room to run and hide, so no one is really getting beaten up on. The males will all flare out and circle each other, except for when I happen to have a camera in my hand. Someday, maybe I'll get the hang of taking photos of them...

DSC02810.jpg

DSC02813.jpg