My new 210

Drydock

That is a tiny sump, does it work well though??

TINY? Tell my wife that! According to her, there isn't anything tiny about this project.

The sump is 57 gallons, based on the inside dimensions... 34" Long, 17" wide 25" high

I generally have it about 1/2 full so figuring 25 gallons which is only 10% of tank volume... technically, maybe a bit small.

I think I get away with it b/c the tank is heavily planted and my bio load is very low for a tank this size. (for now) :rolleyes:

If I add more fish, I may need to add another form of filtration, but no plans yet.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a tiny sump, does it work well though??

TINY? Tell my wife that! According to her, there isn't anything tiny about this project.

The sump is 57 gallons, based on the inside dimensions... 34" Long, 17" wide 25" high

I generally have it about 1/2 full so figuring 25 gallons which is only 10% of tank volume... technically, maybe a bit small.

I think I get away with it b/c the tank is heavily planted and my bio load is very low for a tank this size. (for now) :rolleyes:

If I add more fish, I may need to add another form of filtration, but no plans yet.

HAHA.

I thought the sump was smaller than that sorry.

Have you thought about adding more media to the sump yet, or is what you have sufficient?

I have 3X the amount of bioballs you do, but you do have plants.....

So it works well?

Great set up there :) If you need more in the way of biological filtration if adding fish, just add more bio balls. I think once your plants become well enough established, the sump size should not be a huge issue. I am probably under filtered on my 35 planted tank right now, but it is so well planted I have never had any issues. Have you thought of putting any larger species of fish in the tank? I think discus would look quite nice in it :D

amazing tank! thats so huge! my biggest is a 120 and this one dwarfs it. i really like how you thought of semi-water proofing the stand in case of a leak, i never would have thought of that. also if your still looking for a sweet centerpeice fish then i would recomend discus, or one of my personal favorites, the black ghost knife. black ghost knifes can get quite large (15-20 inches) and will devour smaller fish in the night time (mostly neaon tetras and the like, but i can't find a few guppies.....) but if you are planning to not keep the tinier fish then i think it its one of the most interesting fish to watch.

amazing tank! thats so huge! my biggest is a 120 and this one dwarfs it. i really like how you thought of semi-water proofing the stand in case of a leak, i never would have thought of that. also if your still looking for a sweet centerpeice fish then i would recomend discus, or one of my personal favorites, the black ghost knife. black ghost knifes can get quite large (15-20 inches) and will devour smaller fish in the night time (mostly neaon tetras and the like, but i can't find a few guppies.....) but if you are planning to not keep the tinier fish then i think it its one of the most interesting fish to watch.

The smallest fish in their right now would be one of the rasboras, and he is a good 1.5". Probably the biggest one I have ever seen...

I don't want to commit to the work you need to do for discus, but I did consider a knife for a while.

I would worry about the knife in the long term. My BGK ate all dozen cardinals I bought about 6 months back. I removed him from that tank. And with the size they get, and the size of their mouths/them being nocturnal, smaller fish should be avoided.

If you buy discus as adults, they don't require as much care.....though they can get quite expensive for larger. It can be tough some days but the enjoyment you get from them is well worth the effort :)

• 3 weeks later...

UNBELIEVABLE!

So I make a nice couple of caves in a quiet corner of the tank for my kribs to breed in...

Exhibit A:

DSC02816-1.jpg

Nice location, big yard, close to good schools...

So where do they decide to go?

DSC02818.jpg

I have 3 returns in my tank - left, right and center. I only use the side ones, so the center one is closed. Apparently they like urban living and aren't afraid of heights.

This was the second spawn they had. The first ones didn't hatch, but this time I had a group of about 15-20 free swimmers for almost a week.

Here is a shot of two of my Male Rams facing off, which they do with some regularity. I have 6 (German Blue variety) in the tank and I THINK I have 4 males and 2 females.

DSC02822.jpg

• 4 weeks later...