Fluval 404

gobies et al

I have had problems with a consistent flow rate, I also had mine in a planted tank for a couple years. I eventually took out the the ball in the inlet and moved it to a non planted tank. so far so good in that department. but i have always had a problem when i clean it out, I get a air or something stuck in the tube so I have to disconnect my hose from my tank so it doesn't siphon out and then blow all the air and water out. this is the only solution i have found to work. The problem started when my filter wouldn't move water, it would make a weird noise, similar to it running dry but no quite. I was confused at first because my filter was always full of water. I find this filter a pain in the @$$, but it does the job. mines not a 404 i think its a 405, maybe a 305 ???

LOL . Same issues as previously mentioned as well as priming it is regularly a half hour struggle. When power goes out for even 5 seconds it doesn't restart. The impeller shaft is always broken, I can't get the impeller cover apart to clean it out, it gets noisy and no ammount of cleaning it, rocking it ect. makes it stop, and then it just stops doing it only to call out "PHYKE!" and do it again. The latest issue is it started leaking out the seam above the handle. It'll get reassembled, Vaselined and watched, no leak, check on it later, no leak , check on it in the morning , no leak, come home in the evening and 40 gallons of tank water all over the floor and into the basement. GGGRRRR! The fluvals I have that are in the tank filters all degraded and now zap the tank inhabitants. They need rewiring and sealing. I could probably tell more as I recall the trauma they've put me through *sniff*. I have HOB, Eiheim, Magnum 350 and 350+ and Hydor canisters and they are all better IMO.

Noisy impellers, broken impeller shafts, leaks, broken tabs on the impeller cover, lousy at keeping their prime when you clean them, cheap hoses that don't hold up to wear all that well. Just overall cheap materials used to build them, another one I'd add to the list of preferable filters that the previous writer gave is Rena - I love my Rena's and have never had a single problem with them.

Edited by 2manytanks

Fluvals I find are bad for getting air locked, which is what you experienced callie. The day I set up my 404 the stupid bottom lever broke a bit on mine, but I have left it and so far no problems. Was cleaning out a clients 304 the other day and the cover plate for the impeller snapped, soooo had to search for a new one for it. I have heard of the hoses being easily cracked as well, which I have not had my fluvals long enough to experience this problem. They are a pain in the butt to carry to a sink, as they do not have the nice handles the rena xp3's have. I have found sometimes the flow on mine sputters, and makes me wonder if it will just stop working when it does it. Besides that I find the length of the hoses they give you are not all that wonderful. My ehiem has plenty of length to it that I can put them on whatever side of the tank I want, but with the fluvals, the intake and output always seem to only fit right beside each other.

I have a 304 which I bought back in 1998...I've had to replace the hose and primer cup but other than that it hasn't missed a beat...That being said, I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy a new one anytime soon, the next can I buy will be another RENA or I may indulge and try an EHIEM proII for shats and giggles.

Edited by cale262

IME, the only Fluval filter worth buying new is an FX5. If you don't mind fiddling and fixing, getting one of the lesser Fluvals for dirt cheap isn't terrible. Actually, I've found that using parts from other companies will make the Fluvals a bit more reliable (hoses, impellers/covers, etc.)

It sounds like so far I have been lucky! I'm running a 104 and 2 404's.

I have found that a lot of crap gets caught around the ball in the intake (check valve) and as a result of that it is impossible to prime then. The ball has to seat well to hold the seal for priming. I have gotten around that by having a second check valve that I substitute whenever the one plugs up, so no down time while cleaning it.

So far, I have had one tab on the impeller cover break, used it as it was until I could get a new.

After I clean the Fluval, I fill it, fasten the top on, top up the water on the intake side, rock it to get rid of air bubbles, keep topping it up, rocking until no more air and the level is approximately what it was when the hoses were disconnected. I still do a little priming to help move any air along. Once it is started a do a little more rocking to get rid of anymore air.

I had more problems with air when the intake was too near the air stone and sucking air occasionally.

Maybe my stand is lower, but I have the intake and output ~ 4' apart.

The only time mine is turned of is for cleaning it. When I do water changes, I fasten (elastic band) a filter media bag over the outflow end to stop splashing and spraying.

I use Plumbers Grease on the O rings. Vaseline causes rubber to deteriorate.

If (when) I get another tank then I will have to look at getting another canister filter. I don't know what type, but am watching what advice others have. I appreciate the input and pointing out the pro's and con's of the different filters.

i gave up on fluval YEARS ago, exept for a fx5 i won at an ace auction a couple years ago. imho, THIER JUNK! :tongue: problem,after problem,after problem :cuss: . i've since converted my tanks to trickles and will NEVER use that overpriced junk ever again!

To me, for the price you pay for a fluval, get yourself a rena canister. I love how you can stack the baskets any way, and you don't have to worry about them being in wrong. Besides that they have nicer handles for carrying, and I find they don't get airlocked as easily.

It used to be hard finding eheim parts around here too, but now more places are carrying them and makes it even better to go with them. I have to say though, some eheim are not built as nice as others. I have an eheim 2250, and it has been running 8 years straight with absolutely no problems at all, same hoses, everything. I have neglected it too in the past, but has never done me any wrong. Once I can find a great deal on the eheim pro 3, I will definitely go for the chance.

I find that you save money in the long run buying good quality stuff to begin with. I have bought many junk filters in the past, and it is not worth the 2-3 years they run for. For your next filter I suggest trying something different, and you may just find you like them better too :)

have 2- 403, - 1-404 and 1 405 running. have never had a problem with them. Priming can sometimes take a bit of work , but they have never let me down yet. Have 4 FX5,s running . they are great.

Gee. I must be lucky. I own a smaller 304 with all the origonal parts. It has given me little trouble in the three years I have owned it. Primer is a little flimsy, just got to be gentle with it or slightly overfill the filter with the aquastop left open when strapping on the motor lid since all the servicing is done at my sink.

I'll chime in. I was given a used fluval 404 for FREE last year. I needed to replace the seals and a broken plastic handle. It has run great without missing a beat for that time. It restarts after a power failure without issue and priming it after cleaning and and reconnecting it EMPTY has never taken me more than 30 seconds.

I think it's a great filter.

I will admit that I like my Rena Xp3 better just because of the looks and media containement design.