Project; 75 gallon Lake Victoria species tank

patrick

After letting go of my last Tangs I ended up with an empty 75 gallon tank. Naturally, this is going to be a Vic tank. Yes I know you are all surprised :rolleyes:

There will be only one species in this tank and my choice is Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi Hunter". I am going to keep a large group of approx. 25 individuals.

The tank will be fitted with AquaTerra Slimline Mesa Rockwall and the largest module, Sierra Rock 1, cut in two pieces. I will be running an FX-5 and all the equipment will be hidden.

Here is the tank, emptied and cleaned.

75vic01-750.jpg

The slimline needs to be trimmed and here I am marking where to cut.

75vic02-750.jpg

I am cutting it about half way through.

75vic03-750.jpg

Once It's cut it snaps right off.

75vic04-750.jpg

I am using a saw blade to cut the module in two pieces.

75vic05-750.jpg

75vic06-750.jpg

I am using the insert from an old Aquaclear to shape the intake that will be attached to the module. This will not be visible from the front of the tank.

75vic08-750.jpg

75vic09-750.jpg

Next I drill a hole for the FX-5 outtake. I will not be using the dual nozzle, only a hose.

75vic10-750.jpg

75vic11-750.jpg

Edited by patrick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wanted some surface skimming so once again I cut a piece from the old Aquaclear. I used a dremel to cut out an opening at the top of the module and it's just a matter of sliding it in.

75vic12-750.jpg

75vic13-750.jpg

Here it is glued with black silicone and I also poured fine sand onto the silicone to make it blend in better.

75vic14-750.jpg

I have started to glue the slimline in place on the back glass. Even though not absolutely necessary, I also use wood to put some pressure on them so they will sit really snug.

75vic15-750.jpg

75vic16-750.jpg

75vic17-750.jpg

Here I am applying silicone to the module.

75vic18-750.jpg

Again I am putting pressure on to make it sit tight.

75vic19-750.jpg

The hose clamps for the FX5 are being fitted.

75vic20-750.jpg

The hose is being fitted and cut.

75vic21-750.jpg

Edited by patrick

Here is the hose cut.

75vic22-750.jpg

This is how it looks behind the module. It's a bit tight but it fits.

75vic23-750.jpg

75vic24-750.jpg

The plastic trim on the glass lid is cut to fit as well.

75vic25-750.jpg

The second piece of the module will be glued on the bottom, against the slimline. I am drilling a few small holes in it to allow air to exit and water to enter.

75vic26-750.jpg

It's been glued and now I just have to wait for it to cure.

75vic27-750.jpg

75vic28-750.jpg

Finally, all the pieces are in place! Now I am going to let it sit for a couple of days to make sure the silicone is complety cured and then I will add sand, some rocks, maybe a piece of wood and some plants. To be continued...

75vic29-750.jpg

So cool. Are you using these pics for the installation instructions on your website?

Thanks. Yes I think I will use them on the web site, I just need to edit and fix some of my horrible grammar. Once the "Matumbi Hunters" have been moved from the 90 gallon to this tank I will install a full 48"x24" Canyon Rock in the 90 gallon and take pictures along the way. That way I should have all bases covered :)

Wow Patrick, you did such a good job on that. Thanks for posting it, now everyone is getting ideas! I have been thinking about the canyon rock since it is so much cheaper than the Rift Lake backgrounds, does it's colour match the modular rocks?

Thanks Taylor,

Yes the modular rocks match all backgrounds of the same color. The modular rocks are also available in grey to match the new grey Malawi Rock and Tanganyika Rock. You don't have to use a slimline on the back either, you can just paint the back glass black and glue a couple of modules on it.

Excellent tutorial and photos. The tank is really going to look stunning when it's finished! You make it look really easy. : )