Project; 75 gallon Lake Victoria species tank

patrick

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:drool: ....I want that tank...What's your address and when aren't you gonna be at home for a couple of hours?...:ph43r:

J/K...or not,

Truely inspiring though, you should be a sales rep. for these products.

Thanks everyone!

Very nice tank, What did you use as the substrate?

I used Quikrete Playsand that I got from Home Depot (they did not have Target). It's slightly darker and a bit finer. I also used Target 3/8" gravel for drainage and ponds etc. I mixed 4 parts sand with 1 part gravel to get a natural look.

You really do justice to the Aquaterra backgrounds... Is the wood bought from the LFS ? I think not, my hunch is that you got it from the woods.. How did you prepare it? by boiling and soaking it in water ?

The murkiness adds depth and a sense of realism to the tank. It adds to the "rock wall" atmosphere.

Hope you fit more tanks with backgrounds so we will be able to see your creations. :bow:

You really do justice to the Aquaterra backgrounds... Is the wood bought from the LFS ? I think not, my hunch is that you got it from the woods.. How did you prepare it? by boiling and soaking it in water ?

The murkiness adds depth and a sense of realism to the tank. It adds to the "rock wall" atmosphere.

Hope you fit more tanks with backgrounds so we will be able to see your creations. :bow:

Thanks :) The wood is actually from the new pet store in Leduc common. It's a sand blasted grape vine and is meant for reptiles. It took 1-2 weeks for it to sink and I have had it in another tank with fish for a while to make sure it was safe.

In my next project I will show you how to build a filter behind the background that will save you enough money on not having to buy a canister filter to justify spending the money on a background instead ;)

Edited by patrick

That tank looks so real... with the lighting reflecting off the rocks and the dark and bright spots. If there were smaller rock formations with caves in front of that, it might add to the realism more.. kind of replicating the natural scenery.... sheer rock wall in the background, with smaller rock formations in the front..

I wish you were in Edmonton, so I could go and see it in person... :rolleyes:

Raj..